Rant: Given Name Spelling

Whats in a name and why does it matter how they spell it. I had a student named "Female" pernounced Fa-Ma-Le, Mom said the hospital named her They had a pink card on her basket that said "***" - Female We once had a student give birth in the restroom, all made a bit to-do about it, I suggested they name her "LaTrina" but never caught on.

I guess it is better than being named John Doe... or Jane Doe ...They tag your toe with those monikers...

My friend had a dad named J D **** No words just the initials. And my barber as a kid was E. O. **** Supposidly the grandmother was asked which name she liked best, her reply was "Either One" is fine with me so to that day he was EO... My dad was named Bill (like me) but he graduated from school as Ralph (not until WWII did they discover the real name.

What difference does it make? A rose by any other name still croaks after a few days. :thumb:

Last edited:
Boy you should see some of the names the parents around here give their kids..........

Atsushi, Michiko, Kei, Hiroyuki, Takanoyuki, Ken...........:rolleyes:

Funny story, a guy I knew and his Japanese wife had a little boy, He wanted to name him "Tetsu" for his given name, and "Richard" his middle name (middle names in Japan are very very rare, usually only for non-Japanese) . Well, the funny thing is his wife did not k now that Richard is often shortened to "Dick" and "Tetsu" is Japanese for "Steel" :D

Boy she did not think it was very funny when she found out:rolleyes:

My Name "Stuart" is actually a Scottish family name, so my family is also guilty of mixing things up :dunno:

Being a very conservative and traditional yankee, it was a bit of a head shaker when my son married a girl with 3 boys. Even more so when I found out their names were Camdin, Gage, and Zaid. They recently had a daughter and named her Jodwynn. my wife tells me that all I do all day is walk around shaking my head and muttering.