Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Bottle Stopper with finishing question.

First Bottle Stopper with finishing question.

I ordered the bottle stoppers from Ruth Niles from the suggestions from this forum and am glad I did. They are first class and I will be proud to give these as gifts or maybe sell them. Anyway here is my first attempt. It's still on the lathe chuck waiting for the lacquer to dry. It is made out of Purpleheart. I sanded smooth then applied clear "Deft" spray on lacquer.
    Question...do I need to sand between coats? Do I apply a wax after the lacquer has dried or leave as is?

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 181 resized.jpg  

Well, I got two of them made today. It was fun to finally get out and start making some dust. I've been getting my "new" old Rockwell lathe set up and buying new chucks and tools and stuff but not making anything. So now I think I'm ready to finally make things. I'll post a photo of them both together later on when fully complete. I found that just applying light coats of lacquer one after another worked out quite well. I love the shine it put on them.

Tom

Lacquer layers sorta 'melt' into each other. No need to sand inbetween.
    BTW: Nice.

Frank is right. No you don't have to sand between coats. Lacquer melts into the next coat. On my bottle stoppers I put about 4 to 7 coats every 1/2 hr. Sold over 90 of them at Christmas of '07 and '08 with no complaints.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on your first stoppers.

As the other guys said, layers of lacquer melt together, so sanding between coats isn't required. Still, I often sand with 400 grit between every 2 or 3 coats because I'm trying to also fill the pores of the wood to create a level surface on the piece. I keep applying lacquer and knocking down the high points until I get the surface I'm looking for.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats on your first stoppers.

As the other guys said, layers of lacquer melt together, so sanding between coats isn't required. Still, I often sand with 400 grit between every 2 or 3 coats because I'm trying to also fill the pores of the wood to create a level surface on the piece. I keep applying lacquer and knocking down the high points until I get the surface I'm looking for.
    Tom,
    I haven't tried Ruth's stoppers yet, but planning to... I like yours.. great design.. should be well received.

Not to Hi-jack your thread, but question for both you and Vaughn.. when you apply spray lacquer... do you spray it on the lathe and with the lathe turning?? Haven't tried the lacquer yet and thinking might be a quicker finish than some I'm doing.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Not to Hi-jack your thread, but question for both you and Vaughn.. when you apply spray lacquer... do you spray it on the lathe and with the lathe turning?? Haven't tried the lacquer yet and thinking might be a quicker finish than some I'm doing.
    Chuck. This is the first time Ive used spray lacquer but, yes... I sprayed my pieces while still on the lathe. I slowed it down real slow then shot the piece with several short bursts of spray then as Bernie suggested I applied several layers about 1/2 hour apart.

Tom

Tom I would like to see a pic's of it after it is finished and mounted on the stopper.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Tom I would like to see a pic's of it after it is finished and mounted on the stopper.
    Bernie here is the first three kits that I have done. Wood is (L to R) Purpleheart, Osage Orange and Bocote. These were fun to turn. I look forward to turning many more.

Tom

PS...I forgot to add that I live in Purdue country here. Go Boilers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 187 resized.jpg  

good work tom!
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking