Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally finished the Ash Table

Finally finished the Ash Table

Back in November I asked a question about finishing the ash Table I was working on and said I would post pics when it was finished.
    Well yesterday I finished it and moved it in to the Dining Room. Itís not perfect but boy have I learned a lot.
    During the process I had a table saw accident that cost me part of my ring finger and for the most part disabled my index finger. That being said I was very lucky and am back in the shop and enjoying it.
    After a number of mistakes with over sanding and spraying lacquer that forced me to strip back to bare wood and restart it's finally finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rough sawn ash.jpg   Table top.jpg   top and legs.jpg   skirt leg assembly.jpg   filled top.jpg  

Dyed & filled legs.jpg   dyed leaf & skirts.jpg   dyed skirt.jpg   lacquer finish.jpg  
    Bruce

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Very Nice job, nice finish also. Sorry to hear about you and the table saw.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Very nice job. Your accident makes me think that I should put the guard back on my saw.....Where the heck did I put it ???

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Looks good. sorry to here about your finger, but know how you feel as i've cut one off. ( first joint of middle finger) and the corner of the ring finger also. glade you got back on the horse.
    Steve

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    That is a great looking table. Look after the rest of your digits and keep them.

sorry to hear about your accident, but that is one fine looking table!
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

beautiful. I wish I didnt have to read about your accident, very sorry to hear that, my biggest fear. Glad you are back to woodworking.

I was looking through my ash pile today, as Im about to start a coffee table, as a gift for my SIL this week. Hope it comes out anywhere close to yours, Id be thrilled.
    Great work, thanx for sharing the pics.

That came out great! Good color, it looks solid and structural like a dining table should. As to the side discussion about guards; I too am sorry to hear about the pinkies. I run an overarm guard and when it cannot be used, Grr-Rippers or some other push block are used instead. Every now and again, I will go to plug the saw or RT back in after changing cutters only to find I have forgotten to unplug them . . . stops my heart, everytime.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

ash table

Thanks to all for the kind words. I have put the guard back on my saw and I now use a gripper / push stick when I can't use the guard. I would sure encourage everone to do the same.
    Bruce

nice job on the table bruce,, ash has some very prominent grain and yu showed it off well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!