Pen Swap Lap II

I was under the impression that this was going to keep going around until each participant reaches pen- blank-type-material saturation point. :huh: Whatever that may be. I guess that means I'm in for a few more rounds. I just got a truck load of birds-eye lumber so I'll have some good stuff.

It might be nice to P M/ e-mail anyone who was in the first go-around who hasn't signed up for round 2 because they might be out of the loop somewhat.

I guess that makes sense. I would have been whining in the corner if I had missed the second go around. I have been away for a while and am glad I came back for a visit. ..........I hate to admit it but I haven't spent any real time in the shop for several months. I retired from a regular job and have been way to busy. There is something really sick about that.:huh::huh:

No worries Paul. I hadn't turned in about 3 months untill about 3 weeks ago. I've been having a lot of fun in the shop since. Now I'm back to having my finishing table full. I'll be posting a whole series of pictures in a couple of weeks when they are all slick and shiney. I kind of need a day to turn pens. Have a few folks I want to surprise with an out of the blue gift. More fun that way, when they don't expect it.

Paul I hear you. Other than a day or two here and there a couple of weeks ago, I haven't seen the inside of my shop in weeks thanks to work. I'm making a concerted effort today to get to work early, so I can get home early today, and when I get home, I'm going to go out and clean off a bench or two... and then maybe I can get something accomplished.

Well, I was working with wood sort of. I have been getting logs sawed up and hauled around and stickered up to air dry. Had too much figured wood to fit in the storage rack so I had to redo that and store the spalted maple lumber somewhere else. Gave a thousand brd ft. of hemlock to a local pastor so he could have a privacy fence around his garden. That freed up space in one loft to store more valuable lumber.

At least the excavation is getting closer to the shop door. I hope to wrap up reorganization this week and begin a major re-saw effort so I can get another pile of wood reduced down to sawdust and firewood sans the figured pieces. Oh and sawing a bunch of cedar logs into wide boards. Then I might get to building a lean-to on the back of the barn. I've been planning on doing this next week for 2 years. Sheesh.

Lap I is nearly complete, the box is at the post office in NY, just waiting for Mark to retrieve it (He has to sign for delivery), at which point he'll pull what he wants out of it and bring it over to my place for the BBQ with Rennie et al. (presuming that he makes it to the post office this week...)

I"m setting last call for sign ups at Oct 16th (the friday in two weeks.)

So, guys and gals, anyone else want in on the Pen Swap? Chime in here by then.

I was under the impression that this was going to keep going around until each participant reaches pen- blank-type-material saturation point. :huh: Whatever that may be. I guess that means I'm in for a few more rounds. I just got a truck load of birds-eye lumber so I'll have some good stuff.

It might be nice to P M/ e-mail anyone who was in the first go-around who hasn't signed up for round 2 because they might be out of the loop somewhat.

Saturation? I reached blank saturation before I ever turned my first pen. I bought a half dozen boxes of blanks from a friend who gave it up because of illness. And, the inventory has grown steadily since.

Bump!

OK guys and gals,

the 'deadline' for the 2nd lap of the Pen swap box is this coming Friday.

To sum up...

blanks.jpg

I'm going to take those blanks, sift through them for some that I might want to turn myself, add a Pen to the mix and ship it off for another lap around america with one stop in Canada.

The list now stands at:
If you're interested, please post here.

1. Ned Bulken
  2. Allen Bury
  3. Jim Burr
  4. Dale Johnson
  5. Jonathan Shively
  6. Frank Fusco
  7. Garry Foster
  8. Fred Holsclaw
  9. Doug Miller
  10. Alan Trout
  11. Chuck Ellis
  12. Tom Baugues
  13. Leo Voisine
  14. Chris Inch
  15. Paul Downes
  16. Mark Kosmowski
  17. Paul Gallian
  18. Rick Prosser
  19. Kalea Thoits
  20. __________
there's room for more.

To re-iterate, this lap I'm asking that everyone either Include a turned project (I'd say pen, but it can be a turned Anything, so long as it fits in the box, OR pony up with a couple of extra blanks or a kit or something similar) The idea is that we get to share our turning talents, and if we like something in there, take one, but please also put at Least one in if you take one out.

As wonderful as it was to open that overstuffed box, I hope that everyone will feel free to Take blanks OUT of the box when it hits your stop. If you also want to put a bunch in, You May, however it Must all fit in the same (or same sized if the box needs replacing.. they're free at the post office).

to those on the list, I'm still working on the routing, and am still seeking a volunteer to ship to Canada (slightly higher rates will apply to And from, but keeping it to the flat rate will help)

We did a very good job of turnaround time last trip, so I don't expect any delays this time around either.

Pics, arrival, what you're taking out, what you're putting in. Please & Thank you.

Label all blanks with species please

Size: generally between 3/4 and 1" across by 5 to 6 or so inches long. longer/shorter as you see fit. Hey, it's a blank, we'll spin anything!

Deadline is Friday the 16th midnight. Box will ship on monday (gives me the weekend to finalize the routing etc...)

Last edited:
Bump!

As wonderful as it was to open that overstuffed box, I hope that everyone will feel free to Take blanks OUT of the box when it hits your stop. If you also want to put a bunch in, You May, however it Must all fit in the same (or same sized if the box needs replacing.. they're free at the post office).

Or if you go on-line to usps.com you can order in packages of 10 or more...they'll deliver for free and you can have a supply on hand in case you need them...

Ned , can't wait till next week !
here is 2 photo's

1st is my pens I've turned scince I joined ; notice the Bottle stopper
(from a 2X4)

2nd is a tree down the road ; the Burl protrudes almost 2 feet out , and is about
3 feet wide ! any idea's on what's it worth ?

Post note : seems I can't download pitchures
please help ! (I'm kinda computer dumb)

Last edited: