Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the silky smooth feeling dull finish

the silky smooth feeling dull finish

has anyone here done that soft and silky feeling finish its not not shinny but feels wonderful.kinda of a dull look(Satin). i have tried to duplicate it and so far havnt got there the closest i have gotten is to sand with 600 grit and then rub it with a rag but if i rub to much i get gloss again??? also i have read that STEEL wool isnt a good thing to use because of rust later on., have got some of those white and gray synthetic pads but only used them on wax and clean up work. any help would be appreciated. thanks
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Best Satin and silky smooth finish is to Start with a Gloss finish, (Lacquer, Poly, or your preference) the rub down with Pumice and Mineral Oil. only takes a few minutes and the cleanup is easy. Wet a cotton rag with Mineral Oil then wipe on the surface, next sprinkle some pumice and rub out with the wet cotton pad. Brings out the soft luster of the finish, You can rub with more pumice if you want a duller finish or less for a glossier finish, finish off (after wiping clean with a clean cloth) with Johnson's Paste wax. buff a hard surface and enjoy...

As Bill said, start with a gloss finish - poly, shellac, or lacquer all work well.

I use 400 grit paper, used wet (water for poly or lacquer, and naphtha for shellac) then grey ScotchBrite pads to finish the job. Use a not-too-glossy wax after that. Trewax works well. So does Lee Valley microcrystalline wax.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

If you are starting with a satin or semigloss finishing material, I have had bad luck rubbing... I always start with gloss.

The "avoid steel wool" relates to water base finishes. People have been using steel wool with solvent based finishes for years (centuries?)
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

no i listened to your wizdom charlie its all gloss got 5 coats of top coat on now..just felt it before the last three top coats and liked it but didnt want to mess up now...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    If you are starting with a satin or semigloss finishing material, I have had bad luck rubbing... I always start with gloss.

The "avoid steel wool" relates to water base finishes. People have been using steel wool with solvent based finishes for years (centuries?)
    I usually shoot dull-rub Sherwin Williams lacquer. If I put a buffer on it after steel wool, it'll shine right up... much more than if left alone. Never tried it with gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Constable View Post
    I usually shoot dull-rub Sherwin Williams lacquer. If I put a buffer on it after steel wool, it'll shine right up... much more than if left alone. Never tried it with gloss.
    you mentioned buff it up yu mean to gloss again ??? becasue i am usiong sherwin williams product as well but am lookin for the dull sheen when i am done.. dont want the gloss.

I've always just used the satin lacquer for that type of finish, shoot it and forget it.
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

what grit of pumice?

Something a little smaller than this?