Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gone Wireless!

Gone Wireless!

The wife and I decided to go 100% wireless for our phones. So two cell phones, Verizon FIOS (fiber) internet/television for the house.

Any heads up on possible issues from family members here?

Cheers.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I would like to go wireless but wife won't agree.
    Verizon just took over our previous provider and, as of today, I am very unhappy with them. Their advertising and words are double-talk. e.g. a "free phone upgrade" does not mean a free phone, it means a free upgrade but the salesman could not explain what, if anything, I got with the 'upgrade'. I had to buy my new phone. Stand with your back to a wall when dealing with them.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Frank,
    I've had Verison for years and every 2 years I get a new upgraded phone for free. This Nov. I'll probubly get a Blackberry for free. Go online, don't talk to the salesman, he wants to sell you so he can collect the commission.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    Any heads up on possible issues from family members here?

Cheers.
    Dan we have a house phone but don't have any long distance service on it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I would like to go wireless but wife won't agree.
    Verizon just took over our previous provider and, as of today, I am very unhappy with them. Their advertising and words are double-talk. e.g. a "free phone upgrade" does not mean a free phone, it means a free upgrade but the salesman could not explain what, if anything, I got with the 'upgrade'. I had to buy my new phone. Stand with your back to a wall when dealing with them.
    I've had billing issues with Verizon many times over the years. We have three lines on the account, and for some reason, one line will all of a sudden 'change' plans and start accruing roaming or 'overage' minutes. This has happened several times, usually around the time we replace a phone. They also can't seem to keep track of which line is the 'primary' line on the account, so when I call to complain I feel like an idiot because I'm not sure which line they've decided is the right answer this time. To their credit, they've always fixed the billing errors right away, including one time that I didn't catch the 'change' for several months because Jean was just paying the bill and not reading it. As I recall, the overcharge(s) added up to more than a regular months billing.

Verizon was the only one that had a reliable signal when we were out in the boonies... but now we're city folks, so we can 'shop' when the current contract expires.

Before her death my MIL had wireless service with them. Her opinion: the only thing worse than their service was their customer service. Too bad I can't ask her what she was unhappy about.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I've had wireless Sprint, ATT and Verizon in New England and Southern California. My overall experience has been Verizon coverage and call quality has been significantly better than the other two. All of their customer support has been mediocre, but they eventually resolved any problems I had.

The FIOS telephone/internet/cable service quality has been exemplary.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I had pretty good luck with Verizon Wireless a few years ago before I switched to Cingular (now AT&T). Our landlines and DSL connection are currently through Verizon, and my only issue has been with DirecTV billing that's done in conjunction with the Verizon bill.

My main concern about going full wireless here in SoCal is earthquakes. I like having the landline as an option in the event the cell system goes down or is overloaded. Just sort of a redundancy thing. After the Northridge quake, I had no power, but I had a phone. My family in New Mexico was watching the news there and giving me the play-by-play over the phone. Their info was more up-to-date than the local radio (which I could get in my car).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My Daughters are on Verizon and about a year and a half ago Verizon installed the Fibre Optics system in their area, but they have sure had a lot of Glitches in it since that time. This weekend they went home to find No Phone, No Computer and No TV, but they somehow got a # to call (on their cell phone) and it said the system was being repaired, or "Some equipment" was being changed or Something and could possibly be out of svc for up to 72 hours, BUT early Monday morning it WAS all back working again. They're still not sure of what was going on, AND apparently there was no advance notification of the planned outage, (IF it was planned for an upgrade or something).

Hopefully your area has a more reliable system than where they are.

About a year ago we told Verizon land line where to go, but kept cell phones... our only problem is that my stepsons like to chat a lot... one in particular.. so we're at a pretty steep minutes plan at the moment. That will be scaled back soon. Possibly all the way back to 'not going to have them' for awhile. If that happens for the family, my new business might just start up, and I'll be getting the new Pre with a sprint line to replace my Treo.

I have to have broadband for my job, so we went with Vonage for the house phone.
    -Ned