Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mission Style coffe table

Mission Style coffe table

Im not following any plans, just building it piece by piece, section by section, roughly 22x47 inch top, 18 inches high.
    Im using Ash. I have alot of it, and it was very inexpensive.
    I dont have much time this week do to the excessive heat, and next week Im working a 9 day stretch, so Ill just try to prepare some rough wood, Ive already prepared (jointed and planed) the leg pieces, and laminated some to get 2 inches square thickness.
    Ill work on the table top and the bottom shelf pieces this week, maybe glue it up also. Not sure how much I can tolerate.
    Neuro doctor was very specific yesterday with his comments on me pushing it in hot weather, especially using tools.
    Oh, on that note, btw, right after I finish the table, Im going to go into the hospital for 2-3 days(I havent given him a answer, Im not thrilled about hospitals) for a treatment called IVIG, hopefully make me close to 100% so I can get back to banging out furniture and redoing some of my house.
    Ill shoot pics as I move along this build slowly.
    I love the dark stain that was showed on ash recently, would love to copy that color, but this table is going into an all maple colored furniture area, so Ill have to keep it light finish.
    Ash is a tough wood, very, very hard. Im learning that today.If I had a lathe, Ill spin a baseball bat out of it right now.

planed up alot of wood, wasnt as easy picking best matching boards for top.
    did the best I could figure out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1104 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1105 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1106 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1107 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1109 (Medium).jpg  

wood stuff 1110 (Medium).jpg  

Looking forward to seeing this one come along, Allen.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

all the parts are cut to size, all the glue-ups are done except for one glue up for both sides table top.(I wanted to final plane both sides at same time to get even thickness, then glue up and sand my way home, only have 13 inch planer)
    I have not yet cut mortise and tenons, Ill set it all up today, but the heat has shut me down today. Just going to set up mortise attachment and clean up so I can get mortise and tenons cut tomorrow.
    The legs are 2.25 inches square, glued up 3 pieces, planed and jointed, the rails are 3/4 inch while the stiles(spindles, dont know what to call them, slats?) between the upper and lower rails on the side are only 1/2 inch, I thought the thickness difference looks a bit better overall.
    The bottom rail, will not be seen, it will be under center of bottom shelf, screwed into center board of bottom shelf.
    Cleats will be added to bottom rails on sides and a hole on each side will be elongated and only a screw put into underside of bottom, no glue on sides, only glue on center board as I figured to allow for any movement of wood.
    Thats it, this is what it will look like, mission style, minus the inches for the tenons.( I was about to taper 2 sides, the bottom 3 inches of the legs today, but decided against it)

Id like to put a very small chamfer on the bottom of the legs, so they dont crack or split, maybe 1/8th of an inch, 45 degrees, but dont want to use the router, any suggestions? I dont own a plane that does that, not sure if I can do it with the smoother plane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1112 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1113 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1114 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1115 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-05-2009 at 05:45 PM.

I really like the way this is turning out. Good job!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

use your table saw allen, with the blade tipped over to 45 degrees. that's what i do with all my furniture legs.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

might have too.

allen a smoother could do it but its alittle large for the job.dont u have a good low angle block plane. like a 60 1/2? that would do it or a sanding block would too.. a scrap piece of hard wood with paper wrapped around it..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I own one plane. I think Im going to just sand a tiny bevel, just to knock the edge off.I dont want to be too aggresive and have any chipping problems with the tablesaw blade.
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.

easier to use the table saw allen. once you find the mark to take of 1/8", you're good to go with the rest.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking