Mission Style coffe table

allen levine

Im not following any plans, just building it piece by piece, section by section, roughly 22x47 inch top, 18 inches high.
Im using Ash. I have alot of it, and it was very inexpensive.
I dont have much time this week do to the excessive heat, and next week Im working a 9 day stretch, so Ill just try to prepare some rough wood, Ive already prepared (jointed and planed) the leg pieces, and laminated some to get 2 inches square thickness.
Ill work on the table top and the bottom shelf pieces this week, maybe glue it up also. Not sure how much I can tolerate.
Neuro doctor was very specific yesterday with his comments on me pushing it in hot weather, especially using tools.
Oh, on that note, btw, right after I finish the table, Im going to go into the hospital for 2-3 days(I havent given him a answer, Im not thrilled about hospitals) for a treatment called IVIG, hopefully make me close to 100% so I can get back to banging out furniture and redoing some of my house.
Ill shoot pics as I move along this build slowly.
I love the dark stain that was showed on ash recently, would love to copy that color, but this table is going into an all maple colored furniture area, so Ill have to keep it light finish.
Ash is a tough wood, very, very hard. Im learning that today.If I had a lathe, Ill spin a baseball bat out of it right now.

planed up alot of wood, wasnt as easy picking best matching boards for top.
did the best I could figure out.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1104 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1104 (Medium).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 49
  • wood stuff 1105 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1105 (Medium).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 47
  • wood stuff 1106 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1106 (Medium).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 51
  • wood stuff 1107 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1107 (Medium).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 50
  • wood stuff 1109 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1109 (Medium).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 52
  • wood stuff 1110 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1110 (Medium).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 54
all the parts are cut to size, all the glue-ups are done except for one glue up for both sides table top.(I wanted to final plane both sides at same time to get even thickness, then glue up and sand my way home, only have 13 inch planer)
I have not yet cut mortise and tenons, Ill set it all up today, but the heat has shut me down today. Just going to set up mortise attachment and clean up so I can get mortise and tenons cut tomorrow.
The legs are 2.25 inches square, glued up 3 pieces, planed and jointed, the rails are 3/4 inch while the stiles(spindles, dont know what to call them, slats?) between the upper and lower rails on the side are only 1/2 inch, I thought the thickness difference looks a bit better overall.
The bottom rail, will not be seen, it will be under center of bottom shelf, screwed into center board of bottom shelf.
Cleats will be added to bottom rails on sides and a hole on each side will be elongated and only a screw put into underside of bottom, no glue on sides, only glue on center board as I figured to allow for any movement of wood.
Thats it, this is what it will look like, mission style, minus the inches for the tenons.( I was about to taper 2 sides, the bottom 3 inches of the legs today, but decided against it)

Id like to put a very small chamfer on the bottom of the legs, so they dont crack or split, maybe 1/8th of an inch, 45 degrees, but dont want to use the router, any suggestions? I dont own a plane that does that, not sure if I can do it with the smoother plane.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1115 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1115 (Medium).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 63
  • wood stuff 1114 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1114 (Medium).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 53
  • wood stuff 1113 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1113 (Medium).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 50
  • wood stuff 1112 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1112 (Medium).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
allen a smoother could do it but its alittle large for the job.dont u have a good low angle block plane. like a 60 1/2? that would do it or a sanding block would too.. a scrap piece of hard wood with paper wrapped around it..

I own one plane. I think Im going to just sand a tiny bevel, just to knock the edge off.I dont want to be too aggresive and have any chipping problems with the tablesaw blade.

Last edited:
Allen what always amazes me is how productive you are. You sure dont fool around and waste anytime when you get stuck into a project. Looking real good. I like the sides.:thumb::)

the joinery, I had a miserable day today with the half inch side slats, not sure if Im going to junk them all together or try some type of famowood to fill in the off spots.
I struggled to hold the wood steady, only the 1/2 inch, to get tenons. I just couldnt do it, clamping flat on table was not an option.
My hands are not working that well today, so I gave up. All the joints fit fine, the table is together without any glue or clamps, everything fits, but the side slats are not fitted well. Alot of off cuts. gotta sit a few days and decide what Im going to do. The bottom shelf wasnt put on because I didnt get to the top or bottom shelf to size today. Had the garage door guy here, my accountant, my BIL wanted a bicycle.
Im done, took some pics of all the mistakes, sorry about not being able to hold the camera really steady for the closer shots.
The 3/4 inch wood joints came out fine.
Tough day for me, limitations Ive never experienced are starting to surface, and they are unwelcome, woodworking is challenging enough for me.On the other hand, no body got hurt, and the sun will come out tomorrow.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1116 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1116 (Medium).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 35
  • wood stuff 1117 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1117 (Medium).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 31
  • wood stuff 1118 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1118 (Medium).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 32
  • wood stuff 1119 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1119 (Medium).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 32
  • wood stuff 1120 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1120 (Medium).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I understanding wanting to make things perfect but you are being a bit tough on yourself. They look pretty good. You will never notice the slight imperfection once it is finished.

On a side note I always use a utility or other sharp knife to score the cut lines 1/16 to 1/8"before I cut them. it seems to eliminate any ragged edges, for me anyways.

thanx bob.
My grip isnt what it used to be, I didnt realize those thin 1/2 inch pieces would move so much when the dado blades hit them.

It was just a off day. My 1/4 inch mortiser bit cracked on the second mortise, and I had a shop fox mortiser set, (doesnt fit my delta), but I took the bit out of the set, cut the top down with a hacksaw to fit my chisel and fit in the delta.

I tested 3 stains on a piece of scrap ash, and Im not thrilled with the results, not sure what path Im going to take right now with finishing.

Well, despite the wrestling match you're having with your body, you're still kickin' butt and takin' names, Allen. ;) Your progress is enviable and the results are better than many of us could do (speaking for myself, for sure).

Personally, I think I'd try to fill those minor gaps and move on. You're wise to take a pause to figure out your finishing plans, though.

i agree with what vaughn says allen,,yur still a major force to be reckoned with,,as for the stain troubles explain to us whats happening and maybe we can help.. we meaning the forum. and as for your crakc in the fit..fillum with the right stuff and yu wont see them. exsoecailly if yur going after the black look like bob did..:D:thumb::thumb: