Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some touristic pics

Some touristic pics

Hi guys.
    Just arrived yesterday from my in laws, and I thought I could post some pics of the remains of a monastery which are about 3 miles away from where I stayed.

This monastry is of gothic style and it is on the St. James pilgrim's way. It was a hospital monastery who provided shelter and medical care for the pilgrims.
    After recovering, pilgrims were asked to work for the monks up to five years to pay for the care received. So there was no charity at all.

Now part of it is used to give shelter to modern pilgrims at no cost at all but they do accept some sort of voluntary donation. It is private owned and has nothing to do with monks or any church at all.

The monk's order was "Los Antonianos" as they were devoted to San Anton
    ( Saint Anthony) and their symbol whas the Thau "T" letter in greek that you can see in this round window or "rosetón" originaly there was a "T" letter on each cercle of it but only a few remain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anton07.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	35346

This green plastic curtain on the right closes the dormitory of the modern pilgrims that can rest, have a shower, get some food and sleep on those beds
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anton08.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	35347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anton12.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	35350

I thought you might find it interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anton02.jpg   anton04.jpg   anton06.jpg   anton09.jpg   anton10.jpg  

anton13.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Indeed interesting. Thanks for posting.

Very cool building, Toni. Do you know when it was built?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Beautiful pictures Toni. Is that near Burgos?

We have friends en Barcelona y Caldetas. I have always wanted to see the coast of Galicia and one of my plans was to visit our friends and go en El Camino de Santiago empesando en Pamplona. You have really got me thinking of this again.

Cheers.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

nice pics toni
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks for posting

You're a sly devil Toni - trying to sneak some culture into this forum!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Hi guys.
    This monastry is of gothic style and it is on the St. James pilgrim's way. It was a hospital monastery who provided shelter and medical care for the pilgrims.
    After recovering, pilgrims were asked to work for the monks up to five years to pay for the care received. So there was no charity at all.
    Really interesting Tony. Five years is kind of steep price considering many say the life expectancy of the middle ages was about 35 years. I suspect it was much higher for the upper classes. With the current world life expectancy at 67 (CIA World Factbook), that would be equivalent to working for 9.6 years now (if I did my math right).

Actually, considering the cost of any hospital stay now, 9.6 years may soon be a bargain.

Thanks for the tour!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Nice shots, Toni. It's a real shame that so many Beautiful structures around the world have fallen into ruins from damages during wars, fires, AND simply the lack of funds to keep the roofs repaired which eventually leads to catastrophic deterioration of the structure and eventual structural collapse. Another thing that has caused a significant deterioration of the stone carvings is from the automotive exhaust mixing with the humidity and forming an acid that eats away the stone. The last few years I lived in Europe, I laughed and said that I would have liked to own the company that leased all the scaffolding to the Catholic Church because they had at least 50 % of the Cathedrals surrounded with scaffolds and were doing an intensive restoration of the stonework and carvings.

How did your Door Build come out?