how do you turners find pleasure at the lathe?

For that, I would agree. Repetition is not fun, it is duplication. I recently declined a request from the wife for a bunch of finials she wants on top of a display cabinet. Told her I would buy them ready made.
Unless ye want the job, Tod. :rofl:

How do turners find pleasure at a lathe

Looking at the finished piece,then saying ,yup I did it. :D As for turnin two things that look the same,WELL FERGIT IT,ain't happenin. :(

Tod I did some of the same and won't do it again. If I do it will be with a duplicator. Much more fun and satisfying to turn a bowl or HF that is different each time out of different woods.

I often find pleasure in making a perfect match, but not that many. Great job :thumb:

Each slight difference will show up later and will signify a handmade product, not a manufactured piece. I have an antique Bedroom set, when you look at it as a whole, you see duplicated parts but close examination will show small differences, diameters, width of shoulders, depth of coves, etc. One has a "Catch" on the back side of a leg. I value it more than the manufactured pieces. :thumb:

I have built several coffee tables and end tables and each leg matches, of these I am most proud. Most anyone can turn One, some can turn Two or three, when it comes to four skill is improved, but turn a stack such as yours, the hat comes off and bow to the greatness.

Production work is just that, work. As others have said, making one off's allows you to design, change your mind, use what wood you like etc. Production work is a different ball game. I have got as far as making 12 of something but stressed to the customer that they would be similar not identical. I'd use a duplicator as well if I had to do that many of anything.

Pete

Without wanting to offend anybodybody I think it has something to do with getting almost inmediate reward also.

Would any of the turners of this forum make a project that would take them weeks or months to finish? and I'm not thinking about chess games.

I've done some turning and seeing how fast one can change the shapes under the tool, and how fast one can sand and polish a piece to leave it finished in a wink is somewhat addictive if I may say so:dunno:

Guess everyone is different when it comes to turning - Personally i like doing hollow forms and bowls. I turned down a request to make 8 small salad type bowls for someone at work - requesting they all be exactly the same. I dont have a duplicator nor am I doing the turning as a buss. so ill pass. It also sounds boring to be honest.............Each bowl or vessel I turn is unique and i enjoy the process when im making them. I doubt i would enjoy or like to turn if i "had to" make alot of something exactly the same repeatedly.

Looking good Tod. Don't care if it is using a duplicator, they are handmade and looked after/handled by you the craftsman. Would that be how I get satisfaction? Nope. No satisfaction at the lathe doing that, but when collecting for the job and paying the bills, COMPLETE SATISFACTION!!!! For my personal satisfaction at the lathe it is a one of a kind item. Generally my personal satisfaction doesn't pay the bills though. And this dang Bull Mastiff eats more than my saddle horse! Look forward to seeing the completed job.

I was wondering when you were gonna get your lathe dirty. ;) The other guys pretty much summed it up...repetition kills all the fun for me, too. I saw an ad on the bulletin board at Rockler yesterday looking for someone to turn four matching posts. (I'm guessing they were for a bed.) I almost wrote down the phone number, but decided I'd pass. And that was only four. I can't imagine making a batch like you're working on.