Window seat/Bookcase

Al killian

Yep time for more questions.:D I am getting ready to make a Jewlry/bookcase/window bench(WB) thing.:huh: It will have a bookcase fon each side of the WB and each end of the bookcase will be a jewlry case(safe). What I am thinkin is the bookcases should be 14" deep and the WB should be 20" deep and 15" high. Do these numbers seem good? Would like input befor the morning as I want to get this done by friday. I already have all the moldings cut for ii and all the hardware. The other good thing is shoot it w/primer and be done. Comments good or bad? OH and the seat will be curved from one case to the other.
scan0005.jpg

were it me al, i would use the space under the bench for the jewelery case. with a pair of doors that open out flat against the bookcases, 2-3 slide out drawers for stuff that would go in such drawers, and with a double pull out above them, that would open out left and right for things like necklaces and such to hang. that, or another idea would be to use the bottom 2 shelves of each bookcase in the same manner as the under the window bench idea. from what i could see of your drawing, you would have a pair of tall, wide, yet not very deep cases, and not too sure how you plan on opening them. you got this ol burro's 2 pesos worth. :thumb::D

Oh yea forgot that the jewlry will be hidden behind the flutted panels.:thumb: They will open up to show a wall of shelfs and hooks for braclets and necklaces. The opening will be around 2-1/2" deep by what ever width and heigth. For the bench, I plan to use a paino hinge to open the top for blanket storage or other items.:wave:

I normally run bookcases about 12 inches deep when I have the choice... if they are much deeper, then the books start to look lost on the shelves, and the shelves in front of the books tend to collect clutter.

Most chairs are about 18 inches high. When I do a window bench, the height can be controlled by the window, but if I have a choice, I work towards the 18 inch number... slightly higher than your plan. But if you need 15 inches to clear the window trim, it should be no problem.

I have built a couple window benches about 18 inches deep. Nothing magic, but they turned out good.

Thanks Charles. The window is 36" up so their is plenty of room. 12" depth will save alot of ply. OK, now of to the shop. I will try to get pics of it as it goes together.