How do you fix tearout?

Somehow on every project I make, there's a little piece of tearout from the planer or handplane that I don't discover until the joinery is all done and I have a lot of time invested in the piece. Usually the tearout is a little more than can be sanded off, but not bad enough to fit in a plug or anything.

So what do you do? Epoxy, CA? Do you add some sawdust to the glue? Famowood or some other filler? Is there a silver bullet I don't know about (hope, hope)?

I use famowood usually.
I used to use glue and sawdust, but if the mixture has too much glue, it will show up.

My two favorites...

Are hide glue and sanding dust, and glazier's putty and transtint or other coloring agent. The finisher who showed me the putty trick also used metalic paint from HD to get a kind of irredescent look that helps keep it from looking like this flat patched area in an oil finish. The putty works better for big dents than tear out.

John

I rarely stain, so clear is kinda what I'm geared for. Hide glue doesn't seem to resist oil finish the way pva does, though I've never made a detailed study of it. Some experimentation is still in order.

John

Dust and glue. Yes on clear finish.
Have to mix it so it is so dry, it will barely stick.
Too much pva and it shows

I'm a PVA glue and sawdust person... sanding dust for the smaller sins, actual saw dust for the larger. If I am into the finishing stages, I mix the sanding dust with lacquer rather than glue.

Hide glue is a good idea, but I keep forgetting to try it, since it is out of sight in the closet.

...............................Hide glue is a good idea, but I keep forgetting to try it, since it is out of sight in the closet.

Huh, in your case it is called "Hide" glue, as it is.................................. "hidden"................. :rofl:

Ok, I'm easy to amuse :rolleyes: :eek:

I've used CA fairly well, but the thicker stuff, the gel like one, the thinner one was just a bother.

Cheers!