Thread: The Last Piece for the commsion

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

The Last Piece for the commsion

The last piece for the church commision is called an Ambrie. It is a cabinate that is used to hold the oils that are used at various ceremonies. The there are 3 jars of oil each one will have it's own shelf. This piece is designed to be hung on the wall and have glass on all 5 sides. The middle one in the front will be a door. Two shelves inside will be glass. The demensions of this one are 32" High x 20" Wide x 16" Deep. Keep in mind I am trying to make all of these pieces blend in. I thought about putting molding on the top and bottom but it might be to orante for the rest of the commision. Here what I have so far along with an overall layout of the other pieces.
    Comments and suggestions Please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ambrie.jpg   Santuary 2.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

i like it!
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Hi Don.

I guess it is the same sort of piece as we call "sagrario" where the sacred forms are kept in catholic churches, isn't it?

You have depicted it hanging on the wall but being it the most important piece of the whole lot (or so I think) why not show its importance by making it stand on some sort of feet similar to Krenov's cabinets but blending with the rest as you say?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Tony I believe that you are refering to the tabernacel. That will be on a shelf in ste back wall. This is for the oils that are blessed on Easter and used for baptisism ,confirmation etc.

I have been thinking that it might also need a stand of some soret. I have the beginning of one started. I'll post a pic as soon as it's done.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 08-08-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

You're right Don.
    It is the tabernacle what I described not the ambry.

I've looked for it and this is my finding:

am⋅bry
      /ˈæmbri/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [am-bree] Show IPA
    Use Ambry in a Sentence
    –noun, plural -bries.
    1. Also called armarium. Ecclesiastical. a recess in the wall of a church or a cupboard in the sacristy where sacred vessels, books, vestments, etc., are kept.
    2. Chiefly British Dialect. a storeroom, closet, or pantry.
    3. Obsolete. any of various types of closet or cupboard with doors and shelves.
    Also, aumbry.

Funny enough the spanish word for it is "armario"
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Don,

I like your design, but then I do go for simple, clean designs. You might consider having it set proud of the wall by 1/2 to 3/4 of inch to add a bit more interest. Having it set proud of the wall would be simple using an additional back piece that is set back 1 or 2 inches from the outsides. Would be a natural for using a french cleat to hang it.

Dick

Thanks Rich,
    The mission style is al vary simple clean lines. I like your idea about off setting the piece from the wall I'll see what I can do. I've been thinking about how to mount this piece to the wall and you may have come up with a good solution.

That is a very nice grouping. Sure to please.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke