The Last Piece for the commsion

Don Baer

Staff member
The last piece for the church commision is called an Ambrie. It is a cabinate that is used to hold the oils that are used at various ceremonies. The there are 3 jars of oil each one will have it's own shelf. This piece is designed to be hung on the wall and have glass on all 5 sides. The middle one in the front will be a door. Two shelves inside will be glass. The demensions of this one are 32" High x 20" Wide x 16" Deep. Keep in mind I am trying to make all of these pieces blend in. I thought about putting molding on the top and bottom but it might be to orante for the rest of the commision. Here what I have so far along with an overall layout of the other pieces.
Comments and suggestions Please?

Attachments

• Ambrie.jpg
    Ambrie.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Santuary 2.jpg
    Santuary 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi Don.

I guess it is the same sort of piece as we call "sagrario" where the sacred forms are kept in catholic churches, isn't it?

You have depicted it hanging on the wall but being it the most important piece of the whole lot (or so I think) why not show its importance by making it stand on some sort of feet similar to Krenov's cabinets but blending with the rest as you say?:dunno:

Tony I believe that you are refering to the tabernacel. That will be on a shelf in ste back wall. This is for the oils that are blessed on Easter and used for baptisism ,confirmation etc.

I have been thinking that it might also need a stand of some soret. I have the beginning of one started. I'll post a pic as soon as it's done.

Last edited:
You're right Don.
It is the tabernacle what I described not the ambry.

I've looked for it and this is my finding:

am⋅bry
  /ˈæmbri/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [am-bree] Show IPA
Use Ambry in a Sentence
–noun, plural -bries.
1. Also called armarium. Ecclesiastical. a recess in the wall of a church or a cupboard in the sacristy where sacred vessels, books, vestments, etc., are kept.
2. Chiefly British Dialect. a storeroom, closet, or pantry.
3. Obsolete. any of various types of closet or cupboard with doors and shelves.
Also, aumbry.

Funny enough the spanish word for it is "armario"

Don,

I like your design, but then I do go for simple, clean designs. You might consider having it set proud of the wall by 1/2 to 3/4 of inch to add a bit more interest. Having it set proud of the wall would be simple using an additional back piece that is set back 1 or 2 inches from the outsides. Would be a natural for using a french cleat to hang it.

Dick