Shocking Cherry Gloat

Pete Jordan

I decided to take a bike ride to start working on my belly. About a half a mile into my trip I found a cherry tree that had been cut down with the lowest part of the tree still left. I asked the owner if I made him a bowl could I have the wood. He agree so everything was fine. I got my chainsaw but the wood was too big for me to work. The diameter was 5 feet. I borrowed a Stihl with a 36 inch bar and went to work. After I had returned the saw I went back the next day with my 045 AV Electronic. I bought this saw a couple of years ago from the Stihl dealer. I never thought much about the electronic part till a few days ago. While I was sawing, I received a small jolt. I thought maybe I was shaking from sawing so I didn't worry about it. A few minutes later I received a large jolt and dropped the saw! I took it to the dealer and he completely rewired the whole saw and it works like a champ.

The second gloat happened the following day when a friend of mine who is a owns a tree service asked if I wanted some cherry. I hopped right into my Buick and headed over there. When I got there he was up in the top of a 40' tree sawing limbs. I asked if I could go get a truck and he said sure. I borrowed a truck and my son and I loaded what we could. He said to come back and when I did he had his men load my truck down with more! I brought it home and my three sons Anchorsealed it all. My belly can wait for another day.

Attachments

• DSC00095.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00102.jpg
    DSC00102.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC00103.jpg
    DSC00103.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00105.jpg
    DSC00105.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 98
All that is fake! It must be made with photoshop, I know you took some lessons recently!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jokes apart, congratulations for the haul. Now we all want to see fantastic bowls (and other things) coming out from those logs!:thumb::thumb:

DANG boy,looks like you hit the mother load there :thumb::thumb:
Hey Chuckie,all it would take is bout two of them round pieces ta fill your shop up.:rofl:

Of course cherry is notorious for splitting and all you have there is a winters supply of firewood:D Some serious turning ahead of you...hope you have a big enough lathe to cope with that lot. Conrats.

pete

Great haul, but I second Pete's caution regarding splitting, get the ends well sealed ASAP, try slabbing some to 2-3 or 4" thickness, slow the drying down as much as possible.
That which I have handled has had very little consistency in my ability to judge whether it would split or not when young.

Pieces left in long log form with ends and branch wounds well sealed has held well as has Slabbed pieces, they warped but did not split other on ends, these were resealed as soon as indication of split was observed and this halted it.

smDSCN0240.JPG

Last edited: