Vacuum chuck?

Having had a CNC and using vacuum clamping for holding flat work, maybe I can lend some insight.

First, Vacuum chuck is a term used by woodturners. Vacuum clamping is the term used by flat woodworkers so you might want to re-post to get the right people interested in your post.

Second, go to www.veneersupplies.com for lots of vacuum clamping and vacuum systems information.

A ShopVac can help to more quickly evacuate air from a vacuum bag for veneer clamping but it cannot survive constant vacuum pressure for hold down purposes. The motor will burn up. Vacuum pumps are readily available from surplus sources. Systems include more than just the pump. The above web site will further enlighten you.

Years ago I taught vacuum clamping technology in a woodworking program at a Southern California community college. I cannot add to what Joe Woodworker has for vacuum systems, technology, or information. I think it is that good.

But that is just my 2 cents worth. I did not use it by itself on the CNC table. I did use it in conjunction with positive holds to keep things in their place. Let me know if you want further information in this area.

Leo, a shop vac will not work how you are thinking, as Carol correctly points out the motor will be burned up, this is because the motor relies on the air flow of the vacuum to cool it, once you suck the back down to nothing and try to hold a vacuum, there is no air flow, no cooling and soon afterward, no shopvac motor :doh:

I think that you can get a good vacuum pump used for about $50 from a surplus shop.

OK, I checked, I think >> THIS ONE << is the one that most guys buy, and it is $54 plus shipping.

Cheers!

...OK, I checked, I think >> THIS ONE << is the one that most guys buy, and it is $54 plus shipping.

Cheers!

That's similar to the one I got from them a year and a half ago, but not exactly the same. Mine has a bit more vacuum (25 inches vs. 20) but fewer horsepower (1/5 vs. 1/4). That said, I suspect it'd work fine for either vacuum clamping or chucking.