Is this smoking ban too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
try removing the term "smoking" from the discussion and add any other health threat in its place and see if any of you would feel as animate about such legislation........tod

I think you would actually. Lets put a woodworking spin on this and say I told you I strapped my 5 month old daughter to her car carrier and took her into my shop to route out a few sheets of plywood. I bet dollars to donuts there would be plenty of replies chastising me for it. In fact I could see one post now saying "I hope you had your dust collector on. What about her little lungs?"

Its a law to protect children...nothing else.

This thread has been reported to the moderation team.

The CoC clearly prohibits posts of a "Political" nature, this thread can easily be considered "Political".

We do not want to have to lock or shut down any threads here at Family Woodworking.

Please take this into consideration if you are typing a response to this thread.

Thank you, the Moderation Team

Let's see.....eveyone drives....has a negative effect on the earths atmosphere......if everybody turned off the cars and walked......we could eat more.....burn more calories......we'd all be healthier.......turn off computers and air conditioners...burn less electricity....help the earth's atmosphere......Lock up all people with "IN YOUR FACE ATTITUDE's".....blood pressure comes down.....need less medicines.......Stop all woodworking ...more trees......less warming of the earth.......more clean air...... Stop the use of lasers...puts harmful gases and known carcinogens in the atmosphere.......

Flatulence leads to XXXXX...which is a release of mainly methane and other noxious gases....lets outlaw the release of bodily gases....

We need international laws.........stop this "In Your Face".....No Understanding for the Other guy......I'm Always Right and You're a Twit.....

And of course.....while the cop is writing the ticket for the idiot smoking in the car with his kids......He's not available to arrest the dummy performing the armed robbery......Of course we could increase taxes...hire more cops.....more federal lawyers.....write a few more laws......Stop freedom of speech...it just cause bloodpressures to raise in desenting discussions.....

Tod...put it well for a hillbilly or a non-hillbilly .....YOU CAN NOT LEGISLATE MORALITY!..............

Tod...put it well for a hillbilly or a non-hillbilly .....YOU CAN NOT LEGISLATE MORALITY!..............
Nope, you sure can't. But if that is a reason not to have a law, virtually every law on the books would have to be repealed.

Laws cannot legislate morality (or common sense), but what they can do is provide a disincentive for immoral/stupid/undesireable behavior.

YOU CAN NOT LEGISLATE MORALITY!..............

I was going to stay out until I read that. Nice rant. I keep this handy for when that statement is made:

"All legislation is the legislation of morality; therefore, if you oppose the legislation of morality, then you oppose all legislation"

If you want to go down that road, just say you want no government & be done with it. Otherwise, don't tell me that a five year old kid should be subjected to smoke in their lungs and ashes in their face, against their will.

There. Done my part to get this thing locked.

Last edited:
There. Done my part to get this thing locked.

Thats why Stu posted what he did, now that most have had their say lets all move on to other matters. Remember this a FAMILY woodworking and Families do disagree, but we are all family so lets get back to woodworking and such.

We are trying to avoid locking and deleting threads here at this forum and I think we are all mature enough so that this won't be necessary.

Nope, you sure can't. But if that is a reason not to have a law, virtually every law on the books would have to be repealed.

Laws cannot legislate morality (or common sense), but what they can do is provide a disincentive for immoral/stupid/undesireable behavior.

Lee.......Is it immorale for the rest of the country east of California to have to put up with the pollution coming from California?

Ken Fitzgerald said:
And of course.....while the cop is writing the ticket for the idiot smoking in the car with his kids......He's not available to arrest the dummy performing the armed robbery.
Heh. I could make a similar (and probably better) argument against an Idaho state trooper writing speeding tickets out on I84.
Lee.......Is it immorale for the rest of the country east of California to have to put up with the pollution coming from California?
Dunno. It's easy to fix though: we could solve all of California's pollution problems by exporting about 25 million people to Idaho. :thumb:

...should towns or counties have the right to refuse admittance to folks who wear pleated britches?...
Hey buddy, you can complain all you want about my smoking, but take it easy on the pleated britches stuff. :rofl:

I grew up with parents who smoked, and I remember long car trips where the three kids would be clouded in smoke in the back seat. We'd ask Dad to open a window or something, so he'd crack open the back window in the station wagon and turn the fan up a notch. That would only assure that us kids got a chance to inhale ALL the smoke before it left the car.

I have mixed feelings about enacting laws to prevent people from smoking in a car when kids are present...both sides of the argument have been presented well here, so no need for me to repeat what others have said.

Smoking is stupid and addictive. I am both. :rolleyes:

Oh good grief.

Here's an article on the law: http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/city.aspx?articleid=143547&zoneid=176
I quote: "As drafted, the ordinance would prohibit anyone from lighting up cigarettes, pipes or cigars in any motor vehicle when any person under age 18 is in the vehicle." Which is rather different from your (mis)interpretation.

Lee,

I did not interpret or misinterpret. I only responded to what was written, word for word. I think that was uncalled for.

Allen

Lets all go get some coffee, coke, a beer, whatever suits your fancy,
and rethink your postings a bit;) :type: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.