Thread: Almost done(maybe)

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

Almost done(maybe)

Well here are a couple pics of the corner desk i've been working on.It's spalted maple with cherry panels and trim. Not sure if i'm gonna add anything else or not. I'm not sure but i might add a pencil drawer and might do some kind of shell carving over the drawer that is there. i still need to put at least 4 more coats of laquor, but i ran out so i'll have to pick up some more this week. If ya all can think of any thing else it needs feel free to let me know, as this is just building on the fly.
    thanks and all comments welcome
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005 [800x600].JPG   006 [800x600].JPG  

well steve, yur flys are very good flys!!!! that is very purty!!! the drawer in my estimation doesnt need anything else but a handle..and the side panel i hope has some kind of rack support dont like freestanding sides that can get kicked from one side or the other to break joints..that cherry and the spalting is great together and i think yu need to buy more glass for the top it doesnt shine enough
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well steve, yur flys are very good flys!!!! that is very purty!!! the drawer in my estimation doesnt need anything else but a handle..and the side panel i hope has some kind of rack support dont like freestanding sides that can get kicked from one side or the other to break joints..that cherry and the spalting is great together and i think yu need to buy more glass for the top it doesnt shine enough
    Thanks Larry. As far as the support for the side panel it will have one at the bottom also. It has one at the top you just don't see it. as far as glass there ain't any,it's EnviroTex. It's polymer 2 part finish you can get at hobbylobby. I wanted something that would hold up but not take any chances with the granddaughter braking it.

Very interesting, a one of a kind indeed.
    I don't believe I have ever seen spalted wood used on flatwork before.
    And, that finish is incredible.
    Repeat wat Larry said, the side panel looks like a structural weak spot, at least from the pictures.

Wow, that's a stand-out combination of woods. I'll echo Larry's comment about the drawer. With wood that nice, I don't know if a carving is really necessary. (In fact, the nice grain might kind of hide the carving anyway.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Frank, vaughn. Thanks the side panel has a bottom support. (now) Also was woundering about the collumns if they should be the turned ones (that are there) or maybe flutted ones? Here are some close ups of the the collumns and the grain on the side panel.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005 [800x600] (2).JPG   006 [800x600].JPG  

my vote is flutes like the romans had
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I agree with Lariey, Flutes. Or is it flantas oh whait that a mexican dish, yea flutes.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward