Hey

Faraz Bhojani

Hey I'm Faraz Bhojani from Alberta. :wave:

Im in high school and am finding woodworking very interesting. I haven't actually started working with any lathes or anything since my parents think its a weird thing to do, but I hope to learn as much as I can.

Wellcome Faraz.

Maybe you haven't got a lathe but I'm pretty sure your father has got some woodworking tools, you'd be amazed how many things you can make with a saw, a hammer, a chisel and a plane:thumb:

Welcome to the Family Faraz!! Maybe there is another member here that is close to you that would agree to be your mentor, and you his/her shop help. Great way to get to learn the machines and techniques, and find out if you really like woodworking. Worth a shot!
Glad to have you aboard!! Jim.

Welcome Faraz.

Judging by your name I am going to guess that you have roots in South Asia. Most South Asians or even middle easterns think that this is a weird hobby. Don't let that stop you though. I wish I had started when I was in school.

Welcome Faraz.

Judging by your name I am going to guess that you have roots in South Asia. Most South Asians or even middle easterns think that this is a weird hobby. Don't let that stop you though. I wish I had started when I was in school.

Are you telling me you're not Irish, Mohammad? :p

I've seen the same thing you mention about hobby woodworking in that part of the world. Do you have any idea why this is? I know that some impressive woodwork has been done in that area for centuries.

Hello, Faraz. You should take a wood shop class at your school if they have one, you can get your miscellaneous credits and learn how to use the shop tools. You can also check into a summer class at a vocational school, some schools will accept that towards your High School credits if your school doesn't have wood shop. You can talk with a counselor at your school about what summer courses are offered and transferable towards high school credits.

Are you telling me you're not Irish, Mohammad? :p

I've seen the same thing you mention about hobby woodworking in that part of the world. Do you have any idea why this is? I know that some impressive woodwork has been done in that area for centuries.

I know, my typical Irish features fools everyone.;)

Vaughn, In that part of the world woodworkers belong to the un-educated and low income group. Usually the middleman and the Retailer end up making more money. People love the end product but fail to appreciate the craftsman. They almost feel insulted to have a hobby like this as that would associate them with the un-educated lower class.
This is not the only reason though. Another big reason is the lack of resources and information. In the US if you want to learn something, you can always find classes or join a club etc. People don't have this luxury in that part of the world.

Thanks for the info, Mohammad. I suspected it was much as you described. A combination of "class" differentiation and resource availability.

(I still kinda like the sound of "Mo O'Madha", though. Has sort of a leprechaun ring to it.) :D )