clueless from California :)

Erin Reichelt

Hello all,

I figured I would stop in and introduce myself. I'm a 28 yo, married, house wife with too many animals and not enough time in the day:) My Husband is a Navy Recruiter, formally a mechanic with a battalion.

We own are first house on a 1 acer lot, with 4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 horse, 1 bird and who knows what else is hanging out around here. lol

My hobby is my horse and fixing up stuff, Hubby's hobbies are fixing the cars and now that football is starting back up, warming the couch! :D I'm the more creative one and he's the great husband that puts up with me:p

I want to learn how to build stuff myself and get creative with wood. I'm pretty handy at fixing things but I would like to eventually build something from scratch.

Here's my horse, Sir Stud Muffin. That storage box is where I keep his feed, I would eventually like to build one myself.

TackRoom055.jpg

Here's Muffin clean which doesn't happen that often and only lasts tell the next time he rolls in the dirt. lol

6-25-09003.jpg

If you came over to my house this is the view you would see of Muffin:
TackRoom057.jpg

That's his begging lip, he wants a kiss or a treat. He's not you average horse, he's full of caricature.

This is the tack room that I feel in love with, if I could have built my own this would be it! We purchased this shed and now I'm fixing up the inside, putting up shelves, tack hooks and bridle hangers.

TackRoom044.jpg

I have a few projects around the property that I would like to get done. One is finishing this picnic table that was left behind by the previous owners of our house 2 years ago.

Picnictable002.jpg

I'm currently working on replacing all the wood and re-painting the frame. I'm looking forward to getting it all put together. It's a cute solid table when it's not half dismantled with paint peeling off.

We are also putting up a 3 rail wood fence around are front grass area so I can turn Muffin out to graze during the day. Who knows how long that will take us to finish...:huh:

I think that's it, well I have a huge "to do" list but I'm sure you don't want to hear all about that. It seems like the more property you have the more there is to get done, huh? :D just keeping up with pulling the weeds is enough to make you scream:eek:.

Wow, you certainly have a full plate! Welcome to the family. There are a lot of people here with similar interests so I'm positive you will be able to glean a lot of useful information from them.

Wow, you certainly have a full plate! Welcome to the family. There are a lot of people here with similar interests so I'm positive you will be able to glean a lot of useful information from them.

Thank you for the welcome, Rennie :) I'm sure I will get some inspiration and advise from the forum. I have ideas but I just need the inspiration and know how to get started.

erin that is one fine paint!!! he sure cleans up good:) very good rig.. well muscled and looks like he is spoilt too:)

Thankx, Larry:D Yeah, Muffin is a stout boy. He's a Spotted Draft Horse, just turned 3 yo. He's got the personality of a goofy puppy thats curious about everything but you have to watch him closely. He gets into everything so you have to "Muffin Proof" stuff or he will take it and play with it/destroy it.

He's at the age where we are starting to ride him but he's very green (young and new to being ridden), and his maturity level needs to catch up with his size! lol I'm also wanting to teach him to drive once he is more mature and not so goofy.

He loves people, very friendly but kinda intimidating. Most people are shocked by his size, though he's not really that big compared to a full draft horse. But, people compare him to a normal paint horse and once your standing next to him he's like a tank compared to a paint horse or quarter horse.

He's my money pit and my main hobby. All his tack has to be custom ordered to fit him so that's where alot of my "hobby money" goes. But, we love him, he's part of the family so it's worth it, he's not going anywhere. Maybe one day I will have a cute wagon or carriage and can rent out rides for party's or something...Muffin can work for his own feed! lol

I live in Bakersfield, 2 hours north of you. I live on the outskirts of town in a neighborhood that seems like our own little town. It's nice out here away from the city, we can get away with more then the city folks can, ride horses down the streets, quads, dirt bikes, and sand rails. During the week it's nice and quiet but on weekends the kids are out playing, Dad's riding around on quads with there kids on small quads or a bunch of people on horse back. It's different out here then in town, we couldn't do half of this stuff safely in town.

I live in Bakersfield, 2 hours north of you. I live on the outskirts of town in a neighborhood that seems like our own little town. It's nice out here away from the city, we can get away with more then the city folks can, ride horses down the streets, quads, dirt bikes, and sand rails. During the week it's nice and quiet but on weekends the kids are out playing, Dad's riding around on quads with there kids on small quads or a bunch of people on horse back. It's different out here then in town, we couldn't do half of this stuff safely in town.

Erin, that sounds like a great place to live!

Welcome to the Family. :wave:

Thank you, Jeff. Are you related to the Bower Farm that trains driving horses? I think the sons name was Jeff?

Yeah, I really like it out here. My Hubby was not keen on the idea at first of living out of town, he's a city boy. He wanted a brand new house that no one had ever lived in but there was no way at the time (2 years ago) that we could afford property to have a horse in town. Now that we live out here he likes it. Our friends come out and just love all the space and freedom you feel out here, no busy streets, neighbors complaining about noise or parking issues. My front grass is as big as my Mom's house lot in town. lol

It's amazing how much calmer and friendly people can be when there not crammed together and have a little freedom to do what they want with there property. A lot of people out here have big shops on the back of there property and everyone helps each other out with borrowing tools or equipment.

It's a neat neighborhood, most everyone has 1 acre lots unless you were fortunate to buy two or more lots next to each other. So, we all have room to build shops or horse barns but we still have that close neighborhood feel. It's funny because at first you think 1 acre is huge when you move in. But, once you start building and get used to the property, it seems small and you wish you had more room. lol

After living out here I don't think I could ever move back in town, if anything we want more property with our next house:)

Thank you, Jeff. Are you related to the Bower Farm that trains driving horses? I think the sons name was Jeff?

Nope not me, but my mom's dad farmed with horses much longer than most...he couldn't afford a tractor. Does that count? :huh::D

A few of my friends have moved to the country recently and we have very much enjoyed visiting them and helping with there new found space. They are into horses as well, in a big way!

I'd love to have an acre or two or 20 sometime in the future...maybe someday.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the family Erin! You just made great introduction of yourself, with pics and everything. So no need to tell you our motto.

Beatiful horse you have:thumb:

Jeff, Did you get to work with the horses? Those horses that are used on a farm all the time are working machines, they know there job, and get to the point where they know what row to stay in while plowing or cultivating.

My horse wouldn't be nearly as good, he's not put to work everyday so he would want to go smell to flowers or visit the neighbors! He has no idea what a 9-5 job is and would require a few naps during the day. lol He's young so he doesn't have a good work ethic yet, he would rather go investigate new things. He's spoiled and not expected to pull his own weight around here. Farm horses have a job so they settle down in to there routine and get worked almost everyday so there more relaxed and used to it. My boy would be all excited like a puppy, "where we goin'..ohh what's that..can I eat it".

Your friends sure are into horses! I ride western so I don't know much about the English style of riding, jumping or eventing. One day I hope to get more familiar with English riding but I don't think I will ever be into jumping. I like my horses feet on the ground:)

Toni,
Thanks for the welcome:) I know how people like pictures from a horse forum I'm apart of. We are always asking for pictures and video. So, I'm used to posting pictures and sharing. The problem is, most of my pictures are of Muffin so I don't have any good ones of me....I will have to find one from my avatar picture..hmm