Thread: Shelf pin jig?

Floydada, Tx

Shelf pin jig?

I know I have seen this, but it has slipped my mined(whats left that is). I am building to bookcases and have a few more lined up aftet that. I plane on makeing a jig to use the router. Plans are to use 1/4" ply and space the holes1.5" apart? and have it set for 1" back from the edge or 1-1/2" from the edge and 9" from the top and bottom. What size collar should I use for the router? If I am using 1/4" pins, would 3/8" or 7/16" work?

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    You could use peg board & a vix bit.

I used my friends plexi glass jig & a 4mm vix bit it worked great.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Delton, Michigan
    drill holes to accept what ever quide bushing you want to use and then space your holes that distance apart that you want the 1.5" and drill your 3/8 or 7/16 hole on that spacing put it in the middle of a ply piece ad you can move the offest where you want it...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Floydada, Tx
    Thanks Larry. It is always nice to have a second opion. In a few I will get out there and make one up.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    I made some shelves for my wife a few years ago. Had never heard of a jig for the shelf pins (I actually used cut off pieces of 1/4" dowel) or [until today] Vix bits.
    I drew a pencil line along a steel rule the distance away from the edge I wanted then marked the spacing with a pair of dividers and drilled. Worked.
    Sometime later a friend, who is a top level furniture maker, came over and almost had a kanipshin fit when I told him how I did it. He said, "You can't do that you need a template jig." I said, "Oh."
    However, I would like to see how those Vix thingys work.