Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those of you with young daughters...

Those of you with young daughters...

I've got a young daughter, who is all of 8. And as I look around at this world full of airbrushed advertising and silicon-enhanced starlets I hope and pray that she grows up as well grounded as her mom.

So I was quite interested when someone pointed out this video to me last week. Sure, it's from Dove, but it is still an interesting commentary on the messages that our world is sending to girls...

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

WOW , I am so thankful I was blessed with 3 son's. But there is a problem with son's their always looking for the hottest girls. The world sends some very damaging messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I've got a young daughter, who is all of 8. And as I look around at this world full of airbrushed advertising and silicon-enhanced starlets I hope and pray that she grows up as well grounded as her mom.

So I was quite interested when someone pointed out this video to me last week. Sure, it's from Dove, but it is still an interesting commentary on the messages that our world is sending to girls...

...art
    Mine is only 4 but I worry about this too. Her mom is also very grounded when it comes to things like this, but I know we will have times when our daughter will need to be reminded of how natural beauty is much more beautiful!

I was just dicussing this with a friend who has a 6yr old daughter who is already asking to wear makeup and outfits adults shouldn't wear in public IMO, because "all her friends do". He and I made plans on how we will great the first boy to take our daughters out on a date...I already feel sorry for those boys!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Fantastic!

I'm going to show this to both of my daughters!

They are 15 and 13 and are just starting to get into buying clothes and stuff, but I think their mother and I have grounded them fairly well, but, at some point it has to come from themselves.

Great post Art, thanks!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Having raised one daughter (very successfully, IMHO, thank you.), I advise stop worrying. The worst thing you can do is make an issue of these matters. You will only create curiosity. Young people are getting more information from their friends than you will ever be allowed to know. 'talks' invariably fall on deaf ears.
    A strong, loving, family relationship is what is needed. While there are unfortunate exceptions, young people grow up just fine despite their parents best or worst efforts to influence the outcome. My daughter competed in hundreds of (beauty) pageants from the time she was in grade school. Many people would consider this a terrible thing. I had doubts but learned that the participation taught her confidence and reality. (sometimes they lose and have to deal with that reality) Never did she lose sight of the reality, and phoniness, of the situation. She turned those experiences into the ability to speak to people, individually and on the stage to thousands. (she was on the platform and helped introduce a presidential candidate last year)
    I know my advice is usually dismissed by concerned parents who feel they must "do something" but I stick by it. Be there for those times when counsel is sought, keep the family healthy in all ways. And, most of all, the hardest part, don't sweat it.

I d have to agree frank, you have to trust the way you brought up your kids and have faith you did a good job, the rest falls into place.
    Knowing the life I led as a young adult, Im suprised my kids turned out so great.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I d have to agree frank, you have to trust the way you brought up your kids and have faith you did a good job, the rest falls into place.
    Knowing the life I led as a young adult, Im suprised my kids turned out so great.
    Allen, that last line is one I've concerned myself with...but in the end I grew out of all that and turned out close to what my parents had hope for, I think. And they tell me I'm doing a pretty good job being a parent too.

Frank, very thoughtful points to parenting. My parents did similar for me, no beauty pagents , but they were there when I needed them even at times they probably didn't want to be.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

There is a Christian song playing on the radio these days called "There could never be a more beautiful you" That talks a lot about girls and looking at the magazines and saying they should look that way.
    I'm not a parent, so I'll not say how I think things should be done. But my parents taught us right from wrong, sometimes making the point come home with a branch off the Mimosa tree when we forgot the rules. As a teen, I had general rules, mainly to call if I was going somewhere and if I was going to be late. I was taught to respect others, especially the opposite sex. I made it to adulthood without major problems. So I guess my parents did pretty good! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

i raised a pair of them females, and they fit in to the harness almost as good as most boys did.. had one that would rather wear coveralls than a dress.. even up into college.. but the real world slowly made her change to wearing dressy stuff.. the other one never got to preppy either ,. they turned out ok and like frank, i kinda let them learn from what we said our views were and they kinda figured it was easier to live that way rather than another.. never told them they couldnt get new duds but my better half held the reins and they had some close friends that allowed then to see the outcome of free reinun with no repurcussion so they learned from example both us and others.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I dont know quite what to say. I almost turned off the video half way through because it was making me quite angry, I'm glad I watched it all the way through because the message was not what I expected it to be. Kudos to dove !!

I raised 1 son and 5 daughters. I now have 3 granddaughters and 7 grandsons. Being a very protective Dad (as well as a pretty big guy) I was without a doubt the most feared man in the world by local high school boys. I had no problem with taking my daughters date aside and explaining to him very clearly what the rules were for taking MY daughter out.

I also took my son aside and explained to him how a gentleman treats a lady.

As hard as my wife and I tried to bring our children up to have self confidence, self esteem, good morals, good character, love of family, God and country. There always seemed to be someone/company who is out to make a buck by undermining family values. The pressure put on parents and kids by the print media, television and movies to me is disgusting. Kids are growing up way too fast today and are being subjected to things that they have no real understanding of.

The end result is as always, you do your best to bring your children up right and hope that they make proper decisions.

I wish that we could bring back the 1950's where it seemed that parents ideas of moral values were more important than wall streets.