Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOODEN GUITAR PICKS

WOODEN GUITAR PICKS

If you are like me your always looking for something to do with scraps,I never throw away piece of wood---unless it's smaller than this-

the blanks are 2.00mm thick,1 inch wide and 1 1/4 inch long

cutting the thumb cove

the blanks tapered to 1.50mm with a card scraper

I use a belt sander to shape them the way I like-

I finish up with a little palm plane-

dipped in BLO and bees wax-

if your a picker and have never tried a wooden pick - well they have a different tone and with each wood the tone is a little different and at ten bucks a pop you don't lose them the way you might lose a ninety cent plastic pick.
    rounding off the sharp corners

alex

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Alex,
    That real cool and a great use of scrap.Ten Bucks a pop... hmmm.

By the way my grand daughter name is Alex..Alexandria and she's 5 today.She gonna be a woodworker too. I already got her in the shop on small projects.Gonna take her to the Rat Palace (Chucky Cheese) for a Pizza party tonight. Don't mean to steal your thread. Just thought youd like to know that there's another Alex who like working with wood.

Ten Bucks wow.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That is cool! I will show it to my son--he's the musician.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Very cool, Alex, and thanks for the pics showing the process. I have a couple of wooden picks (although stainless steel is my personal favorite). One of my wooden picks was made for my by a student years ago when I was teaching guitar. It's about the thickness of a Fender Heavy, but it's made from two layers of veneer glued cross-grain to each other. It has a nice (relatively) thin feel, but the grain orientation keeps it strong and durable.

I've also got a pretty wide assortment of pics made from other materials, including agate stone, buttons, a ground-down quarter, and a solid 24k gold one that another student had made for me in Greece. (The gold one is too soft to actually use, but it's pretty cool-looking. Even has my initials engraved on it.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Neat. We have an imaginative bunch here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've also got a pretty wide assortment of pics made from other materials, including agate stone, buttons, a ground-down quarter, and a solid 24k gold one that another student had made for me in Greece. (The gold one is too soft to actually use, but it's pretty cool-looking. Even has my initials engraved on it.)
    Vaughn -Do you have any old tortoise shell picks? They became illegal some time back maybe in the seventies,very sought after by jazz players I understand and on the blackmarket $50 apiece .
    I was told by the store that sells my wooden ones that Billy Gibbons uses them and also uses a ground down Mexican paso. (for ya'll that never leave the woodshop-Billy Gibbons is a guitar player down here-((plays in a little band called ZZTop))-)

alex

Alex, I've not used a real tortoise shell pick, although one of my old teachers (a great jazz player) used to like them. I had heard about Billy Gibbons using a peso...I think that might have been when I got the idea to try the quarter. (That was back in about 1975-1976. I still have that quarter, too.)

BTW, I believe the correct term is "little ol' band"...from Texas, of course
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

BTW, I believe the correct term is "little ol' band"...from Texas, of course
    --of course--I was just trying to be a little sophisticated----I've never tried a real tortoise shell pick ether; they were made from the hawksbill turtle,although I do have some ol Texas river turtle shells that I've thought about turning into picks also I've thought about deer horn.

alex--who with only four cords knows a hundred songs

Alex,

Those are cool! I've got a wide assortment, like you and Vaughn, but none of mine are wood. I'm sure that most of those who play have tried just about anything, when we didn't have an actual pick with us. I like the looks of your picks. Hadn't really thought about making any out of wood, as it just seemed they would disintergrate. Guess I've now had my eyes opened (again, <grin).

What woods have you found hold up to the contact with the steel strings?

Regards,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Laird View Post

What woods have you found hold up to the contact with the steel strings?

Regards,
    Lee-The picks I posted pictures of were cocobolo,goncolo alves and maple, but I will use any hardwood, I suppose any wood would work,there is a guy on line that sells them made from bamboo.

sent you a PM

alex