Thompson Tool list...

Thompson Tool List

3/4, 5/8, 1/2, 3/8 V bowl gouges an got a skew a 3/8, an a 1/2 U shaped bowl gouge comin soon.Putin in the order now :type:

Hi Ned,

I have several of Doug's bowl gouges. And I use them all, but I would say I use the 1/2" and the 5/8" V the most. But depending on the size of your lathe and the wood you turn, I would say the 1/2" bowl gouge is a great choice.

I also have his 1-1/4 skew, but haven't had the time to play with it much yet.

Dave

A 3/8 bowl gouge, 2 3/8 detail gouges, a 3/4 spindle gouge. I handled all of them with my own designed handles and use them all all the time. The hold their edge nicely. I'm sure I'll be purchasing more of them. No doubt.

My four bowl gouges (1/2" and 5/8" in both V and U shapes) get used pretty equally. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite. I also have the 3/8" shallow detail gouge that is great now that I've gotten the hang of using it. I have the 1" or 1 1/4" skew that I'm sure is a fine skew, but in my hands it's more of a "surprise spiraling" tool. And I've got Doug's 1 1/4" scraper, but it's still handle-less, so I've not used it.

For your lathe, I'd suggest either the V or U gouge in the 1/2" size. I think the majority of owners would recommend the V profile, including Doug himself.

Thompsons? Favorites?
I use what works for me. Had to go look to see the brands.
I guess you could say that my "good" ones are mostly Henry Taylor.
The rest are a hodgepodge of early garage sale and genuine El Cheapos.
That doesn't include the Don Pencil hollowing tools which, sadly, get very little use these days.
And, I didn't answer yer question since I don't have any Doug Thompson tools. :eek: Oh, well.

No Doug Thompson tools but I do have a 3/8 Hannes tool which I believe has Doug Thompson steel and a new(about a year old) Jerry Glaser 1/2 bowl gouge which I also believe is Thompson steel. Both are great. Wish I had a 5/8 with a truly good handle. I do like the weighted shot filled handles best. I have 15 or so other tools of various brands and quality, but I do think these have the best steel, hold the sharpest edge, for a longer time than anything else I have.

Vaughn, can you easily explain the practical difference in the V and U shape gouges?

Took a look.
They look fine. No doubt the powder steels are sumptin' else. I have seen discussions, pro and con, on the benefits of cryo treatments. Personally, I dunno. :dunno:
They are expensive but, like many things, for the high volume turner, might be more economical in the long run.
When I wear out my current tools, should be about year 2025, I'll consider these.

...Vaughn, can you easily explain the practical difference in the V and U shape gouges?
Ken, for me, the U shape feels to be more suited for the inside of a bowl, and the V shape feels better on the outside. You can use both profiles in both cases, but that's how I like to use them

...They are expensive but, like many things, for the high volume turner, might be more economical in the long run...

When I was comparing them to name brands like Sorby and Crown, they seemed pretty inexpensive to me, especially since they stay sharp much longer between sharpenings. I'm not a high volume turner, but I like having the ability to go longer between sharpenings.

In your case, knowing how much you use (and love) your bowl gouges, I'd expect them to last until way beyond 2025. :p

No Thompson tools in my shop either... still using mostly the cheap tools that came with my original lathe... did buy a set of thread chasing tools... not sure the brand, and a set of Benjamine Best bowl gouges...

I have a 3/8 detail gouge and a 5/8 bowl gouge. I really like that bowl gouge. works great on getting rid of tear out on the inside of bowls.

Watch that monster stuff I got burned, bought handles hollowing system etc. it is bad and he will not take it back or warntee it, simply stuck me with it.

This is also direct form Thompson's site now.

"
Monster Tool
His handle does not fit these tools due to a undersize hole bored in the handle, I will not replace a tool if you use this handle. He now has a 25% minumin restocking fee and no shipping fee will be returned, with our close group of woodturners... not good. Other companies give a money back guarantee.
"

Jason, I see you're going around the Web digging up old posts regarding Monster tools, and posting your experiences. From what I've read, there are at least two sides to the story.

Regarding the warning on Thompson's website, Randy bores his handles to close, but correct tolerances. (They are bored .015 over the nominal size, or approximately 1/64” oversize.) Since I consider both Randy and Doug to be friends, I'll just leave it at that.

Regarding the warning on Thompson's website, Randy bores his handles to close, but correct tolerances. (They are bored .015 over the nominal size, or approximately 1/64” oversize.) Since I consider both Randy and Doug to be friends, I'll just leave it at that.

I don't know where this information came from but I assume you got a PM from Monster tool, now I have a right to say my 2 cents but I'll say it in public.

I measured the bore on Monster tool handles here at the house.

3/8 dia(.375) 1/2 dia(.500) 5/8dia(.625)
.378 +.003 .501 +.001 .628 +.003
.380 +.005 .503 +.003 .629 +.004

Dave Peebles handles have a larger bore and no problems at all.
.405 +.030 .521 +.021 .640 +.015

Randy and I do talk, he was even in my booth for the national symposium. You can see from the numbers above they are not .015 oversize or "correct tolerances". I've been replacing tools that didn't fit his handle but when it blew up over a month ago on another site I quit, that is when Randy found the money to buy oversize reamers... this is a new standard that started maybe a month ago.

Regarding the warning on my website there are to many handle manufactures to put up with this, I'm not going to waste my time fighting over size nor am I going to replace every tool that doesn't fit in this handle. I also don't believe in restocking fees plus you lose your shipping costs too... no one else has this fee.

I've talked to Randy and Jason about the problem, IMO this could/should have been resolved before it got out of hand.

I have 3

A 3/8" detail gouge, a 5/8" V flute bowl gouge and a 1/2" shallow flute detail gouge. I like them all a lot. I thought no one could ever tear my 3/8" Crown Pro-PM spindle gouge out of my hands but it has been mostly replaced by the Thompson 3/8" detail gouge. The 5/8" V bowl gouge is my go-to bowl gouge. The 1/2" shallow detail gouge is strong enough to do most anything I want it to. All are mounted in nicely fitting Monster handles from about a year ago.

I have not tried any other Thompson tools-yet:D.

Hope that helps answer your question.