Thompson Tool list...

I don't want to feed any controversity into this thread.... I don't have any Thompson tools because they are outside my budget and that is the primary reason. I haven yet bought an unhandled tool, but if I were to, I would make sure I either have a handle it will fit, or more likely make a handle for it after receipt. I've made a couple of tools that I thought I needed and just made the handle along with it.

Chuck,
I'm in the same boat you are... I don't own any of Doug's tools yet, However... I'm not going to let the fact that he ships them without handles slow me down when I can finally afford them.

As for the 'returns' because they don't fit a brand of handle someone bought. That's like returning a pickup because you couldn't put the 44" super swampers on the 4x2 non-lifted truck you bought. You bought the truck and the tires, it was poor judgement on the buyer's part for not making sure they both work together. In the case of the tools, you know they come un-handled, so be prepared to make your own, OR buy something else.

At the risk of name-dropping, I met Doug last year at 5-barns. At that time, and truly still to this day, I've not used my lathe enough to justify the purchase of tools of his caliber. However, they're on my list of 'must have' tools, which is why I asked which of his tools people here preferred.

I don't want to feed any controversity into this thread.... I don't have any Thompson tools because they are outside my budget and that is the primary reason. I haven yet bought an unhandled tool, but if I were to, I would make sure I either have a handle it will fit, or more likely make a handle for it after receipt. I've made a couple of tools that I thought I needed and just made the handle along with it.

Making handles is part of what we do. Personally, I think making ones own handles is fun, customizes and personalizes your tools. Plus, it is often a great way to use up what would otherwise become scrap.