Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin nailers and outdoor kids furniture

Pin nailers and outdoor kids furniture

Is it safe to use a pinnailer in small chairs and table sets for children, mainly for outdoor furniture?
    Do they come out eventually?
    It would be a tremendous time saver if Im building 3 outdoor sets of kiddie furniture at once, something Im lining up hopefully for next spring.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Allen,
    I would not use em especially for outdoor. If it were me I glue and screw em. Screw go in fairly fast and act as clamps until the glue dries. They wont work loose.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hello Allen,

Not a good choice. The 23 gauge headless brad has as much holding power as a one legged paper staple. They are good for "pinning" things together that can't be clamped while the glue sets. In my experience their holding power is much better in hardwoods than softwoods.

When you get your new Grex, tack some boards together and pull them apart with your hands to get an idea of how well they work.

Cheers.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Me three. Headless pins are...well...headless. They really don't have much holding power, especially where there's a potential of warping or cupping that could be pulling in line with the pin. (Or being tugged on by a kid.) Also, if something does become detached, there will be a sharp, nearly invisible pin exposed and sticking out somewhere. Screwed and glued would be my choice, too, especially for kids' furniture.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

glue and screw...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I wasnt using pin nailer to hold furniture together, I was going to use them to hold white oak together until glue dried. I was going to glue all the chairs with butt joints, pin them to hold them until dry.
    I didnt want exposed screw heads, and I dont want to plug screw holes.

Glue and screws here too.

To speed things up, one of these things......

...... might help, or if you have two drills, one a drill and one an impact, drill and counter sink your holes first, it will be much better and quicker.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

pin nailers and outdoor kids furniture

Allen I would not think that butt joints would hold together on chairs of any kind, especially for children. I would go with dowels or mortise and tenon if it were me. Just my thoughts.
    Chuck

If I have to make 30 or 40 chairs, and I dont want to fully assemble them until I need them for an order, the dowel idea is great for me, I can set up a jig in the drill press, drill all holes at same time, extremely time saving, thats why I figured glue in a dowel at stress points, one for each leg, and just hold it in place with a few pins until glue dries, this way no screws, pins would not be used for strength, just to hold in place to allow all glue to set.
    I can pin in a few back slats, glue should most certainly hold them in, they arent under any stress. I want to have the option of painting them all colors, and screw heads are very time consuming to cover up.
    my cousin the artist feels she can sell kiddie chairs and tables and fat persons adirondack chairs,(hold up to 500 lbs, make them 24-26 inches wide also)
    at the shows she attends, or would attend next year.
    shed paint an animal or something on the chair back, first spray paint the chair a specific color if asked.
    Me, Id just do like I do with the adiriondack chairs, make all the parts and store them in piles, wait till I need them.
    Id use white oak for all of it.
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Alan,
    If there going to be painted why use white Oak. If use a lessor wood like Poplar. I pay around $4 bd ft for white oak but I buy poplar for less then $2.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward