Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Installing Vents on shed? What kind? How?

  1. #1

    Installing Vents on shed? What kind? How?

    So, I have a wood shed I use as my tack room for my horse stuff. I love the tack room but in this California weather it turns into a hot box during the summer.

    I would like to put some kind of vents in it but I really don't want to install anything on the roof. I'm just a house wife and wouldn't have a clue how to cut through the shingles and so on.

    So, I was thinking about a side vent or even a solar vent. I checked into solar vent's and though they sound great, there way to pricey for just a little shed.

    I did find solar boat vents and they seem to be easy to install. But, the reviews on them being used for shed vents are not as great as I had hoped. Some people say they work, some say there not worth the money and don't circulate the air enough.

    Here's pictures of my shed:

    I installed a solar light if your wondering what the panel is for.


    The roof slops up and traps the heat. This would be nice in the winter but very stuffy and hot right now.


    Currently I keep the door and windows wide open all the time (24/7) for ventilation, not a good thing when it comes to letting dust in or for locking up the tack room.

    So what kind of ventilation would you install on this shed? How hard would it be for me to install it and what tools would I need to get the job done?

    There are also two sky lights on the roof I would have to work around if I did want to install on the roof. Here's a picture when they were delivering it.



    Thanks in advance for your help If I could install some kind of vent that I could close for winter that would be great, kinda like the one on my horse trailer that you turn the handle and it closes the lid....hmm...well, I don't know. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,476
    what about putting in two small windows in the back wall to get cross ventalation with your existing frt windows? then yu can just close them as well. the shed size without insulation is gonna get hotin your climate without AC. could just cut in some vents to and put covers over them in winter but your winters arent even cold are they?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Posts
    8,529
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    what about putting in two small windows in the back wall to get cross ventalation with your existing frt windows? then yu can just close them as well. the shed size without insulation is gonna get hotin your climate without AC. could just cut in some vents to and put covers over them in winter but your winters arent even cold are they?
    Actualy it does get a little chilly in the winter Larry. Not as cold as michigan but it will get down there. I second larry's Idea about cutting in some vents but I'd just pick up a couple of Vents from the Borg like the ones used in household HCAC systems. You can even get the ones that have shutters so you could close em in the winter. Get the largest they make. Or put in more then one on each side. Put oneor two on the bottom on the side facing the direction where the prevailing winds come from and oneor two on the oppisite wall up high so you get the cross ventilation. Also heat rises. I'd also put in some insulation on the walls and the celling, especuilly the ceiling but the walls need it two.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

  4. #4
    Once I had the shed and realized even with the windows open theres no air circulation, I thought about putting in windows on the back like you suggested. But, again, I'm not that talented to do that sort of construction so I would have to find someone to hire. Plus, I thought down the road I might put in a feed door if I ever moved the shed and put it against the horses stall. So, I decided not to do anything drastic until I figure out where I want the shed and if I want to put any feed doors on it.

    Our winters are really mild but for us, going from 105 to 40's is cold! lol When the water hose is frozen solid and spits out ice chunks we spoiled Californian's in the valley tend to think it's cold. lol I just wanted to be able to close the vents from rain and moisture if needed but it's not totally necessary with our weather.

    I guess I could just get some of those slotted vents they use on the front of garages. Put one on both sides of the shed at the peek of the roof for now. I would just put a screen behind them so the flys or wasps don't come in. I'm sure that would help some.

    I guess that would be the easiest way to get some ventalation...but there not that great, the one's on our garage help some but not much. I guess no mater what you do it's going to get hot and stuffy with out A/C. lol I just can't have it getting too humid in there or my tack can rot and mildew.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Posts
    8,529
    Erin,
    You should also get some insulation up. It will make a differance. The roof on that shed is Black so it absorbes the heat from the sun. You can buy the pink stuff from the borg. Just staple it up between the studs with the foil side out.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Actualy it does get a little chilly in the winter Larry. Not as cold as michigan but it will get down there. I second larry's Idea about cutting in some vents but I'd just pick up a couple of Vents from the Borg like the ones used in household HCAC systems. You can even get the ones that have shutters so you could close em in the winter. Get the largest they make. Or put in more then one on each side. Put oneor two on the bottom on the side facing the direction where the prevailing winds come from and oneor two on the oppisite wall up high so you get the cross ventilation. Also heat rises. I'd also put in some insulation on the walls and the celling, especuilly the ceiling but the walls need it two.
    I like this idea I didn't think about putting vents on the bottom for cross circulation! I have seen them before but didn't put two and two together. I was just thinking about the top and letting the hot air out but this is a great idea! I could put some on the bottom of the back wall and some on the top of the side wall peaks.

    Ok, this sounds like it would help alot. After I get my picnic table finished I will start looking into vents with shutters. If this goes well I can put some on the garage's back wall too.

    Thankx for the ideas

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Erin,
    You should also get some insulation up. It will make a differance. The roof on that shed is Black so it absorbes the heat from the sun. You can buy the pink stuff from the borg. Just staple it up between the studs with the foil side out.
    Is there an insulation that I can get that looks "finished" or nice? Insulation is a great idea I just don't want fuzzy pink ceilings

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Posts
    8,529
    You can get the Staro foam Insulation with the foil on one side in 4ft x 8 ft sheet. You would have to cut it to fit in betweeen the beam and studs. It still isn't finished. It would be better than nothing but If it were me I'd get the pink fiberglass with the foil on the outside and if you wanted it finished put some thin Plywood or paneling over it. You could drywall it and paint as another option. I don't think the foam has as good a R Value as the pink stuff.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

  9. #9
    Yeah, If I put insulation up I would want to put plywood up and finish the ceiling. I think the look of a pink fuzzy ceiling would drive me crazy. I like the look of the wood, even if it's plywood.

    The garage needs to be insulated too so I think that project will have to be planed for next summer. Once we get started insulating we should just get it all done.

    But, I can get the vents installed and that wouldn't be a big project or costly. I have to try to plan out and finish one project at a time and researching what the next one is going to cost us so I can let hubby know in advance.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Odessa, Tx
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Reichelt View Post
    Yeah, If I put insulation up I would want to put plywood up and finish the ceiling. I think the look of a pink fuzzy ceiling would drive me crazy. I like the look of the wood, even if it's plywood.

    The garage needs to be insulated too so I think that project will have to be planed for next summer. Once we get started insulating we should just get it all done.

    But, I can get the vents installed and that wouldn't be a big project or costly. I have to try to plan out and finish one project at a time and researching what the next one is going to cost us so I can let hubby know in advance.
    It's a pity that your solar panels are at the ridge of the roof, or you could easily have a low profile ridge vent across it and then with some low wall entry vents the heat would naturally rise and take out the moisture and heat, much more effective than just cross venting. We all have that 20/20 hindsight, right?
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 08-13-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing our new kitchen.
    By Jim Hager in forum Flatwork Project Showcase
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 02:35 AM
  2. Steel shed vs wood shed
    By allen levine in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
  3. installing Beadboard
    By Nick Clayton in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM
  4. installing a cabinet
    By damian garcia in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
  5. Installing a ledger board
    By robert dewinter in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 11:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •