Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who needs a depth gage

Who needs a depth gage

Turned this bowl the other day and thought i was so good i didnt need calipers or a depth gage. I thought I would try to turn this project just using my fingers to feel the thickness and thought i would be equally as good at knowing the depth of the bowl. I was finished with the turning and was cutting off the tennon and making it just a bit concave when all of a sudden...................ahhhhhhh crap
    I think ill start using my figure 8 calipers and depth gage again - It was a shame to add this to my designer wood burning pile. Lesson hard learned - I am not as good as i thought
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steady 2.jpg   Steady 1.jpg   Hole-1.jpg   hole2.jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ah Yes another funnel. I've made a few..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That hurts. Too bad.
    Still, a nice shape, you could add a contrasting piece to the bottom for a save.
    BTW, I like your steady rest. If I described mine here most of the words would be auto-deleted.

Take that bowl er funnel and cut the bottom off at an angle. Segment a contrasting wood onto that. Then cut it again opposite side at an angle and segment another piece of contrasting wood. Maybe even a third cut and put in a horizontal contrasting piece of wood. Then re-turn that thing and see if it isn't the purtiest one yet!!!!!
    It's not a disaster, just an opportunity to redo the bottom!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

If you can reverse chuck it, turn that hole nice and round. Put some duct take on the inside, fill in with coffee grounds, and apply thin CA. Stand back and don't touch it for a while. It will get really hot without any accelerator. Ater the glue has set up and everything has cooled off, remove the tape and power sand inside and out to smooth and blend the edges. Works out pretty nicely.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller View Post
    If you can reverse chuck it, turn that hole nice and round. Put some duct take on the inside, fill in with coffee grounds, and apply thin CA. Stand back and don't touch it for a while. It will get really hot without any accelerator. Ater the glue has set up and everything has cooled off, remove the tape and power sand inside and out to smooth and blend the edges. Works out pretty nicely.
    Great Idea Doug!

Dan, I just did the same thing monday night...wasn't the first and I'm sure it won't be the last.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I have heard this method used but I have never did that myself especially when using my calibrated index finger and thumb calipers. Yea right.

I do like Jonathan suggested. I would reverse chuck it in a donut chuck. Cleaned up the bottom, square it up nicely and glue a piece of walnut or contrasting wood to it. When the glue is dry cut a tenon, finish out the inside, reverse and finish you bottom. I have a cherry and maple bowl I did that to with walnut and the LOML won't part with them.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'll be the odd man out. Unless this is a very special piece of wood (from the tree that Great-Grandpa planted the day he married Great-Grandma or something similar), I'd toss it and move on to the next one. I've yet to see a bowl with a plug in the bottom that didn't exactly look like a bowl with a plug in the bottom. Jon's idea of making it into a multi-segment piece would look better, but personally, I'd just re-calibrate my fingers (the original "digital" gauge, lol) and chuck up another hunk of wood.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

See that is the difference in experience and level of ability between Vaughn and me! Vaughn would just, "chuck up another hunk and throw that one". Me, that piece would represent so many hours/days of work, I would have to do something to save it. But many many ideas, hope something works out for you.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    I am not as good as i thought
    You and me both! But don't worry, nobody is!

Thanks,

Bill