Thread: My new Dovetail Jig - Tool Review

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

My new Dovetail Jig - Tool Review

Well as part of my birthday LOML got me a dovetail jig Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dove Tail jig.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	35640to go with my new router. I was a little skepticle when I opened the present because she got it a Harbor Freight. I very rarely buy anything from them except occasionaly some clamps. My skepticism was increase when I open it up and there was no manual. One never to look a gift horse in the mouth I decided to give it a wherl. I went to their web site and sure enough I was able to download it. Before I did that i googled router jigs and found this article. armed with this information I looked around only to discover that I had no guide to fit my new Milwakee router Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	35642so I took a trip down to one of my local wood equiptment suppliers and picked up one that fit in the fixed base of my NEW router. I took some 1x4 pine I had laying around and took it over to the chop saw to make some test pieces. After playing around with it I decided that it was a keeper.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dove Tail Test.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	35641 It came standard with a 1/2 template and according to the manual they can get me the 7/16 and 9/16 templates.
    Not bad for $34.95
    Now I know those Neianders out there are going to look down on me for putting the dovetail saw away but I only remember what Sam Maloof said during his wookshop. You should use the tools that gets the job done a quickly as possible if you expect to make money doing building furniture.

Don who is converting his plow into a router jig..
    Last edited by Don Baer; 08-14-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don,
    Check out this site as well: http://www.woodstockint.com/products/D2796/
    Their instructions are pretty good for this unit. I also found the Grizzly templates fit - or at least did at one time. They have finger joint templates as well. The Rockler stops and dust collector also fit.
    FWIW,
    Wes

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Wes,
    I saw that unit when I was picking up my router guide. I think the Harbor Freight unit is a knockoff of this unit. Good to know about the Griz combs fitting.
    I guess I shouldn't be suprised maybe the Griz is a knockoff of the woodtech jig also. All I know is with this little guy I'll not be bothering making finger joints of lap joints on drawers again. I can do dovetails in less time.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dove Tail Test.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	35641
    Now I know those Neianders out there are going to look down on me for putting the dovetail saw away but I only remember what Sam Maloof said during his wookshop. You should use the tools that gets the job done a quickly as possible if you expect to make money doing building furniture.

Don who is converting his plow into a router jig..
    I don't think anybody is going to look down on you Don, and I completely agree with Sam's saying, one think is having a hobby another is paying bills.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Glad you got it setup and working. I tryed one from HF and took it back. Hopefully you get lots of use out of it.