My new Dovetail Jig - Tool Review

Don Baer

Staff member
Well as part of my birthday LOML got me a dovetail jig Dove Tail jig.jpgto go with my new router. I was a little skepticle when I opened the present because she got it a Harbor Freight. I very rarely buy anything from them except occasionaly some clamps. My skepticism was increase when I open it up and there was no manual. One never to look a gift horse in the mouth I decided to give it a wherl. I went to their web site and sure enough I was able to download it. Before I did that i googled router jigs and found this article. armed with this information I looked around only to discover that I had no guide to fit my new Milwakee router router.jpgso I took a trip down to one of my local wood equiptment suppliers and picked up one that fit in the fixed base of my NEW router. I took some 1x4 pine I had laying around and took it over to the chop saw to make some test pieces. After playing around with it I decided that it was a keeper.Dove Tail Test.jpg It came standard with a 1/2 template and according to the manual they can get me the 7/16 and 9/16 templates.
Not bad for $34.95
Now I know those Neianders out there are going to look down on me for putting the dovetail saw away but I only remember what Sam Maloof said during his wookshop. You should use the tools that gets the job done a quickly as possible if you expect to make money doing building furniture.

Don who is converting his plow into a router jig..

Last edited:
Wes,
I saw that unit when I was picking up my router guide. I think the Harbor Freight unit is a knockoff of this unit. Good to know about the Griz combs fitting.
I guess I shouldn't be suprised maybe the Griz is a knockoff of the woodtech jig also. All I know is with this little guy I'll not be bothering making finger joints of lap joints on drawers again. I can do dovetails in less time.

View attachment 35641
Now I know those Neianders out there are going to look down on me for putting the dovetail saw away but I only remember what Sam Maloof said during his wookshop. You should use the tools that gets the job done a quickly as possible if you expect to make money doing building furniture.

Don who is converting his plow into a router jig..

I don't think anybody is going to look down on you Don, and I completely agree with Sam's saying, one think is having a hobby another is paying bills.:)