YUP it's Friday and another weekend is upon us.

This weekend I want to run the last DC line, the lathe needs a little dust control too. Then I might actually get a chance to work on a project.

I was hoping to sandblast, paint, sharpen and reassemble the ooollldd (but new to me :) ) Homecraft 4" jointer I just picked up, but it's still in the hot tank down at the auto machine shop, so I guess I'll round up my sweetheart and head out to an auction or two ..

cheers eh?

Got a job to go look at and bid on Saturday a.m. Dinner with friends Saturday evening.

Not sure what the social director has planned for me on Sunday.:dunno:

I'll be trying to make some progress on the shop re-org that's the result of my adding a DC. I've got a couple pickup loads of stuff to move into our rented storage space, and most of the big tools need to be moved into new locations in the shop. Even though they're all on mobile bases, moving them (especially the bandsaw) is not real easy on the carpeted floor. (And I don't really have anyone to call and ask for help moving stuff.)

I'm also still considering emptying the shop completely and removing the carpet, but I'm not sure I want to slice off that big of project right now. Plus, I really like the carpet under my feet...it's the difficult cleanup and lack of tool mobility that I don't like.

Picking Up my Shop..... Literally !!

My shop is a stand alone 20' x 28' storage shed placed on concrete pads and tied down similar to a mobile home. The guys who placed it did a lousy job setting the floor pads, so after 3 1/2 years it's beginning to list to port side, about 3 1/4".

My buddy and I took the day off today and began lifting it. Amazingly, we got it to within 5/8" of level around the entire perimeter, reset the concrete pads on the bad side and placed a 4x6 beam underneath it the entire 20' length (the gable end). Damage was minimal, cracked some drywall but nothing I'm going to complain about.

Tomorrow I got to get to the center beam and block it up because we picked it up off the pads and now the floor is bouncing in the center of the building. The only way I can figure to get at them is to cut a hole in the floor. I'm figuring two, maybe three spots. The floor joists are 12" OC, so they have to be small holes and will be difficult to work with. Maybe I'll think of a better plan tonight.

This is all assuming I'm mobile tomorrow, my back and neck are very upset with me right now! Do we have an icon for pain?

Well at least for me it's a 3 day weekend thanks to MLK. Promised to help one friend move a couch into his van for a trip to the reupholsterer. Then got roped into helping another figure out how to use the Craftsman DT jig he got for Christmas. I used to have one many moons ago so it should come back to me. Then it's more measuring and planning to try and get my DC ducting needs figured out.

Last edited:
The weather is going to control what I do this weekend. They're talking freezing rain tonight. That's happening.

Sleet tomorrow morning and snow in the evening and possible Sunday.

If they're wrong, the shop has a storewide demonstration planned and I will be there. If they're right, I'll be here doin' some "Honey DOs" and maybe a little turning on the Rikon.

Bruce

I'm also still considering emptying the shop completely and removing the carpet, but I'm not sure I want to slice off that big of project right now. Plus, I really like the carpet under my feet...it's the difficult cleanup and lack of tool mobility that I don't like.
I was going to take the carpet out of my sop initially but then I realized it's glued down. After a little research I found out that this stuff is hard to get up and get the glue off the concrete. And I agree that clean up is a little difficult with carpet.

Been on ebay and craigslist for some time now… looking to buy cargo/carhauler class trailer. Discovered that the 24 ft construction trailer I’ve had parked at a farm (since 1990), was rented open by the tire of a tractor pulling a brush cutter.

Ebay stuff seems to be going out really high. Craigslist from here thru Milw. and Chicago has had paltry offerings (for me), but I checked out Minneapolis (where I was born and almost raised), and there is more up there. Many emails and ph calls, and am planning a roadtrip for the weekend.

Arizona or bust,
Frank

Bought one out of Quad Cities... wherever that is… maybe somewhere in Illinois. 20 foot 2001 Haulmark, with not too many miles on the tires. Rear ramp, side door, and skylight/vents. Included is load transferring, anti-sway hitch that I can plug into my receiver, which transfers load to my truck frame.

I am happy!

Next task for me is to get my global warming beast started. Not getting fuel to the Holley right now, and I have not been able to get the fuel line open to discern whether the prob is the fuel pump or the filter.

Here’s a couple ole buddies I got out of the trailer I will leave behind.
turning.jpg
I’ve been thinking that the angle grinder might serve as a roughing tool for chunks on a lathe. Then, when it is nitty gritty time, and I have to use and sharpen those finer tools, I can get some white wheels and mount the Wolverine in front of the 1 HP grinder. (Yes Don, I can wire that baby 240, but not sure I am ready for it to jump towards me on startup.)