new Delta mini lathe

Frank, I have had a chance to fondle one. It is a very nice lathe and probably will be my next small lathe. If you get the non-vs model it is right at $499. But with the VS you get more HP of course VS and and reverse for $599 which I think is a pretty decent buy. To me the fit an finish on the one I got to play with was very good and overall quality was excellent.

Alan

Frank, on the site you provided, it states it is Variable Speed, but has a patented easy belt changing system. So it is variable speed if you the turner changes the belt on the pulley. Which isn't a big deal, do that with my JET mini, really like the idea of reverse. Have never sanded in reverse because I don't own a lathe that does that so don't know how much is fact or fiction. Good price. Thanks for sharing it.

Frank, on the site you provided, it states it is Variable Speed, but has a patented easy belt changing system. So it is variable speed if you the turner changes the belt on the pulley. Which isn't a big deal, do that with my JET mini, really like the idea of reverse. Have never sanded in reverse because I don't own a lathe that does that so don't know how much is fact or fiction. Good price. Thanks for sharing it.
\\

Delta 46-460 Specifications:
# Motor: 1 HP Max, 120V, 60 Hz, 1 Phase
# Motor Control: Electric Variable Speed
# Speed: 250 - 700, 600 - 1.800 and 1,350 - 4,000 rpm

You gotta read the whole article Jonathon.

Yes there are 3 step pulleys with the variable speed at each step as shown above.

Most (maybe all) EVS lathes have a step belt system also. At the highest speeds torque is reduced. For larger pieces you want more torque/power. The step belt system allows lower speeds with maximum use of the torque your motor can provide. My big Griz EVS has a two step belt system, as does it's Jet cousin. It is a minor hassle to make the switch but is not required often.
I use reverse for some sanding.

I've also read good things about the new Delta mini (or midi, to be more accurate) lathes. Looks like it might be a good alternative to the venerable Jet mini and midi lathes. I've been seeing more and more reports of problems with the Jets (primarily the On-Off switches)

Jon, Frank is also right about stepped pulleys on lathes aith EVS. My Powermatic also has the two stepped pulleys like Frank's Grizzly. In "low gear", my lathe does about 50 to 1200 RPM. In high range setting it's something like 125 RPM to 3200 RPM.

Did not know there were multiple ranges available by changing the belt on the pulleys. Makes sense. Interesting concept. Wasn't trying to jump you Frank, just couldn't make sense of the two concepts on the same machine. Just thought VS meant like my Craftsman were what you have is what you got! Thanks for the information. Looks like a great midi lathe and something to look into for the school shop (or mine and replace my Craftsman). How about it Vaughn, with your experience, would it be a good swap? (I have a guy interested in my Craftsman now).

I got to turn on the 46-460 and it is a smooth machine. The VS has more power than my Jet 1220. If this one had been out when I bought my Jet it would have been the Delta.

...How about it Vaughn, with your experience, would it be a good swap? (I have a guy interested in my Craftsman now).

I haven't seen the Delta in person, and don't remember offhand which Craftsman lathe you have, but I suspect the Delta would be a nice step up, if for no other reason than the electronic variable speed. At least it looks pretty good on paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan like I said I got to turn on one of the 46-460. I turned a bowl and pen. I wish it had been out when I bought my 1220 because I definitely would have went with the Delta. It definitely has more power than mine. I think that would be nice step up from Craftsman.

Ok, here goes. Has anyone tried to use one of these HF router speed control:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060 . . .

on a lathe?

Or is there something that will cause damage to the motor using this. Is it a potentiometer or is there some other way that they control the speed?

Please don't come down too hard if it is a stupid question, but how else would I learn from you guys?

P.S. My old Delta double duty lather has a switch wired into it for reversing the motor, I suspect this had something to do with the last user of the lathe using it for metal work, what with all the metal cutting bits and accessories and the cross slide.

Ok, here goes. Has anyone tried to use one of these HF router speed control:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060 . . .

on a lathe?

Or is there something that will cause damage to the motor using this. Is it a potentiometer or is there some other way that they control the speed?

Please don't come down too hard if it is a stupid question, but how else would I learn from you guys?

P.S. My old Delta double duty lather has a switch wired into it for reversing the motor, I suspect this had something to do with the last user of the lathe using it for metal work, what with all the metal cutting bits and accessories and the cross slide.

This question comes up quite often. Bottom line is don't try it and it won't work. The elektriks geeks amongst us can explain why.
It's sumptin' like trying to paddle a canoe with an egg beater.

Bill, it's not a stupid question at all. Like Frank said, it comes up pretty regularly. And also like he said, it doesn't work. The router speed controls work for smaller motors...the ones called "universal motors". I don't really understand the differences between a universal motor and the motor in a typical lathe, other than knowing they are different, and the router speed controls are only for universal motors.

Bill,
What you've been told is correct. The router motor got it's name as a universal motor because it has a commutator and brushes. The term universal because it will work on AC or DC. The speed control you were looking at varies the speed by changing the applied voltage to the motor. The lathe on the other hand uses an induction motor. The only way to changes the speed on it is by changing the frequency.

Frank, I got to spend some time on this new Delta last October, first at a demo/open house for a Woodcraft store, and then later on that month when Delta sent three of their reps to me for some training so they could run the thing. They brought the lathe along so we could work with its controls and features.

If Delta did it right, it will be a very nice lathe. By right I mean if they did not scrimp on quality of items to meet the price point. When things are new and shiny it is all nice, but more important is how the thing runs six months or a year later. The one thing I didn't particularly care for is the location of the on/off button. Other than that, it is a pretty nice design.

Probably the biggest source of concern is the quality and durability of the VS circuitry. Cheap usually means not reliable over time with this stuff. If they get that licked, and don't cheap out on the metal components, this lathe should do fine.

Vaughn, I have the same type/model of Craftsman lathe you used to have. The same one Palmgreen put out under the Craftsman label.

Bernie, thanks, was wondering, have had the Craftsman at the shop twice, both times the thing won't turn at the slow and if the shop is near 30 or colder, it won't run without a heat lamp on it for a while. Love the idea of the VS, getting tired of not being able to rely on it.

Bill, I was ready to think about buying one of these. Now your words of wisdom come into play. :huh: