Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: school?

marty and i have contemplated teaching classes together for a while, just wondering if ya`ll think we could make a few bucks as a traveling circus?
    what does the collective group have to say?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tokyo Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    marty and i have contemplated teaching classes together for a while, just wondering if ya`ll think we could make a few bucks as a traveling circus?
    what does the collective group have to say?
    Tod, I'd certainly pay to learn from you!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    I'll second that idea... however, I bet you'd get plenty of students who would travel to either of your shops or a school centrally located eventually!

Delton, Michigan
    Go for it Tod!!! and Marty to but yu need to bring along the rest of your Crews
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

North West Indiana
    When and where?
    Larry teaching turning?
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Constantine, MI
    Probably too far for me, but there is no denying that the two of you have much to offer anyone learning to raise their woodworking skill level.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Sounds like a great idea, I'd attend if there was a class up here in New England.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Honolulu, Hawaii

I don't know, Tod. What with Marty's inability to build anything substantial, and your plainness of work and design, I would doubt anyone would be interested.

I think (Truthfully this time) you are two of the most likely to succeed at this. If I wanted to learn the craftsmanship you and Marty excel at, I would also pay to study under you guys. (It's just too bad I didn't know you when I was younger)

Go for it. Let me be one of the first to congratulate you on a brilliant idea.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Villa Park, CA
    Teaching woodworking is a tough business. Well, maybe I should re-phrase that: getting students to pay for woodworking instruction is a tough business.

The people who do the best have "names". They've published in magazines and maybe wrote books, and have won awards for their work. They're known in the woodworking community.

If you're going to teach at your location, the cost to a student is substantial. They have to take time off work, pay for their travel, lodging and food, and pay for the course.

I teach weekend courses at Woodcraft and we have trouble getting enough people to fill a class. And all they have to pay for is the class. Since it's the weekend, they don't have to take time off work, and their only travel is to drive to the store. And this is an highly populated area so there's a lot of woodworkers in the area.

It's expensive to set up a school (all the tools for each student) and you have the liability problem if any of them get hurt.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Southern Georgia
    Hey everyone...

Thanks for the few votes of confidence for tod and I having a go at this.

Mike, you bring up several of the major issues that we've discussed already. Getting folks to say "I'd attend", and getting those same folks to commit their time and money to a class are two completely different things!

We acknowledge that we're not 'published', we don't have TV shows, and the only awards we've won are the checks/cash from happy clients that have purchased our stuff. But then again, we're not looking to start an accredited school and teach thousands of students a year. Well wait a minute...let me do the math... Heck, we'll teach as many students as want to pay us!

We're in the process of discussing a bunch of different options, including course material, locations, class duration, etc. We'd love to hear from any of you that have suggestions, questions, and/or requests.

What do y'all wanna learn about?

(Please direct all spinny questions to Larry )

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…