Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handyman Club of America

Handyman Club of America

Got this 'invitation' to join the Handyman Club of America.
    Supposedly, if one joins, they send free tools for the member to evaluate and write up a review on. All for a $1.00 a month membership.
    It is obviously a subscription solicitation but if the tools they send are worthwhile it could be a good deal.
    Enneybody here belong to this?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    LMAO..Take a look at Bart Leech's avatar. Normaly when they invit you to join they include a free drill gage. I been invited but the scheptic in me has always kept me from sending them a dollar. Like Bart I did get a free drill gage.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    [QUOTE=Don Baer;174960]LMAO..Take a look at Bart Leech's avatar.
    Like Bart I did get a free drill gage.
    Or three!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

LOML has been a member of HCA (l LIFE member) for about 12 years. In all that time, he has NEVER gotten a free tool to evaluate. He also never got a free drill gauge. But he DID get an extremely nice leather jacket that he is still wearing. It all depends on your interests. The magazine does have some interesting stuff in it---once in a while.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I hate to admit it but i joined 3 or 4 years ago in hopes of getting a real cool tool to test and keep.

Instead I was sent a package of sticky plastic bags that I was supposed to drill through then into a drywall ceiling. The bag would catch the dust (supposedly) keeping your floor clean.

Although a bit skeptical, I gave it a shot..About halfway through the ceiling the bag wrapped itself around the spinning drill bit and spewed drywall dust all over the bedroom.

I sent them my less than glowing review of the product and have never heard from them again.

I could use a spaghetti sizer, but all they sent me was a plastic key chain
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I got a drill gauge. It is exactly like another I have but don't remember where I got it. This must be my second 'invitation'. Think I'll pass.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Frank keep ignoring them, they'll probubly send you a couple more before they give up.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I was a member for a while back in the late '90s. In addition to 4 or 5 spaghetti sizers, I also got a plastic utility knife to evaluate. That was the extent of the tools, but I did get nearly weekly solicitations to upgrade my membership to something like Bronze, Gold, or Platinum, as I recall.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Handyman Club of America

Well, I joined too a few years ago. They kept sending me offers to become a "Life Member" for X number of dollars and I would get so many things.

Well I resisted and finally when my membership was supposed to be renewed, I contacted them to take me off their mailing list. They still send me the online edition of the magazine.

I did get to "test" something. It was an HTC3000 mobile base. I thought that was nice of them, with one little exception, it wasn't complete. Parts were missing from a new unopened box. I reported this to them and never heard a thing back. I also wrote to HTC and never got any replacement parts like they told me they would either. I guess you could say I was disappointed. (But I still have the mobile base under my bandsaw.)

I never did get any spaghetti sizer.

Aloha, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 08-20-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

well guys, all the replies here just go to reassure me that TANSTAAFL!
    ...art

ps: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch -- R.Heinlein.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood