Handyman Club of America

Frank Fusco

Got this 'invitation' to join the Handyman Club of America.
Supposedly, if one joins, they send free tools for the member to evaluate and write up a review on. All for a $1.00 a month membership.
It is obviously a subscription solicitation but if the tools they send are worthwhile it could be a good deal.
Enneybody here belong to this?

LOML has been a member of HCA (l LIFE member) for about 12 years. In all that time, he has NEVER gotten a free tool to evaluate. He also never got a free drill gauge. But he DID get an extremely nice leather jacket that he is still wearing. It all depends on your interests. The magazine does have some interesting stuff in it---once in a while.

I hate to admit it but i joined 3 or 4 years ago in hopes of getting a real cool tool to test and keep.

Instead I was sent a package of sticky plastic bags that I was supposed to drill through then into a drywall ceiling. The bag would catch the dust (supposedly) keeping your floor clean.

Although a bit skeptical, I gave it a shot..About halfway through the ceiling the bag wrapped itself around the spinning drill bit and spewed drywall dust all over the bedroom.:bang:

I sent them my less than glowing review of the product and have never heard from them again.:dunno:

I could use a spaghetti sizer, but all they sent me was a plastic key chain

I was a member for a while back in the late '90s. In addition to 4 or 5 spaghetti sizers, I also got a plastic utility knife to evaluate. That was the extent of the tools, but I did get nearly weekly solicitations to upgrade my membership to something like Bronze, Gold, or Platinum, as I recall.

Well, I joined too a few years ago. They kept sending me offers to become a "Life Member" for X number of dollars and I would get so many things. :rolleyes:

Well I resisted and finally when my membership was supposed to be renewed, I contacted them to take me off their mailing list. They still send me the online edition of the magazine.

I did get to "test" something. It was an HTC3000 mobile base. I thought that was nice of them, with one little exception, :huh: it wasn't complete. Parts were missing from a new unopened box. :dunno: I reported this to them and never heard a thing back. I also wrote to HTC and never got any replacement parts like they told me they would either. I guess you could say I was disappointed. (But I still have the mobile base under my bandsaw.) :thumb:

I never did get any spaghetti sizer. :rofl:

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
well guys, all the replies here just go to reassure me that TANSTAAFL!
...art

ps: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch -- R.Heinlein.

Must be something in the water, I got this in the mail today.

If there ain't no free lunch, How about a ½ price breakfast?? :rofl: :rofl:

Attachments

• HandymanClub.jpg
    HandymanClub.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 24
I joined once, got my drill guage and stickers (and one every six months for several years) but not once did they send a tool to evaluate. I have at least 6 drill guages :thumb: one of which I use when I go buy dowels, as there are a lot of different sizes of the same diameters. :eek:

I joined once, got my drill guage and stickers (and one every six months for several years) but not once did they send a tool to evaluate. I have at least 6 drill guages :thumb: one of which I use when I go buy dowels, as there are a lot of different sizes of the same diameters. :eek:

I have never joined, but I get an 'invitation' and a new drill guage (spaghetti sizer) about three or four times a year. I've got at least half a dozen of those lying about, and numerous glue scrapers (sample membership cards), too.

I joined the club a few years ago. The magazine is useful and the website has a forum and so good info.

So far, I've gotten a pair of work pants (Great with lots of pockets) and a large utility knife (Good tool).

I get a Life Member invitation once a month. Since I don't need the tools, I disregard.

a guy i know here in town is a lifetime member and he has gotten a set of chisels, a set of router bits, a plunge router and a bunch of other stuff

i looked at all the stuff he got and it seemed ok, probably on par with harbor freight tools.

oh and another guy i know joined up and they were charging him $10 a month for some reason. not sure if he ever got anything

money, Frank...they want your money. Not just the dollar, that only clues them in that they might be able to tap you for more...and they'll bug you to death trying. It's a shine. Ignore it. Just think, send them some money and they'll send you a piece of junk tool (maybe) that you wouldn't even buy off the bargain table in the dollar store, you'll waste time trying it out (and at our age that's a serious negative)...heck, you might waste even more time telling them what you thought about it (which they don't care about anyway), and for the privilege of doing it yet again you'll send them even more money. Sheesh. Listen, I know a guy who has a bridge for sale if you're interested. heh heh.

Cheers.

money, Frank...they want your money. Not just the dollar, that only clues them in that they might be able to tap you for more...and they'll bug you to death trying. It's a shine. Ignore it. Just think, send them some money and they'll send you a piece of junk tool (maybe) that you wouldn't even buy off the bargain table in the dollar store, you'll waste time trying it out (and at our age that's a serious negative)...heck, you might waste even more time telling them what you thought about it (which they don't care about anyway), and for the privilege of doing it yet again you'll send them even more money. Sheesh. Listen, I know a guy who has a bridge for sale if you're interested. heh heh.

Cheers.

I saw the shine right away.
I have been writing product reviews for decades. Years back, I did much on firearms related items, mostly muzzle loaders. Then, as a non-geek, I did many reviews on computer related items and new software. That was nice since I got to keep some nice software. Nice, except when it froze up my computer. Can't say whose was worst. Hint: it rhymes with 'quarterdeck'. :eek: Since I started making sawdust (my speciality) some woodworking/turning items have been coming my way.
When the reviewer gets to keep the item, that is usually the payment. For big, meaning expensive, items, those must be sent back but a check for the reviewer is in order.
Downside to earning a decent sideline income with reviews is that, if you write a negative review you will never be invited to do another. Been there, experienced that.

I knew you saw it Frank. I was just shinin' you on. Can't imagine an old newspaper guy being fooled by that tool testing con.

Glue spreaders...good suggestion.

Cheers.

My dad was a lifetime member for a long time. He got a cordless drill, a large case of drills/bits, some forstner bits, and several other things. Nothing great. But if you think they're going to send you loads of expensive tools for free just for your opinion, you have an overinflated opinion of your opinions.

The magazine? It's ok, better than most. I learn something from each one, but I don't think I'd subscribe to it.