I'm so frustrated right now.

Tom Baugues

In the last few months I have put together what I thought was all the tools to start turning decent size bowls and such. I have purchased new gouges, a chuck, a lathe, and spent most of last weekend cutting up a large amount of walnut wood that was given to me. I've been feeling kind of foolish because I've spent so much time and effort in gathering all the stuff I needed but I wasn't turning anything. Well tonight I thought I would give this new wood a spin and so I took my first real good size piece of walnut and marked a circle on it. I then took it to my small band saw just to cut off the corners a little and WHAM...POW...my little 10" Craftsman bench top band saw flies apart. I never liked this saw anyway but I had hoped that it would at least cut, even a crooked cut would be ok. BUT NOOOOO.... So I went ahead and mounted the block (very square) on the lathe but it beat me up trying to cut it down so I gave up. I tried to use a circular saw but not much luck. SOOOOO.... now I need to find me a decent band saw. I'll have to search the threads here for recommendations. I would assume that I need to buy as large as I can afford but finding quality is going to be important too. I would guess something in the 14-inch range?

Tom

If it fits your budget, go 17". You will love the decision.
Otherwise, a nice 14" (Jet, Grizzly, etc.) will serve you very well. I have the Griz G0555 14 incher and will be putting a riser on it to cut over 6" pieces.

I'm so frustrated right now

I know how you feel.Like said,even if you have to wait a day or so to save up for it,get the best you can afford.To me this is one tool in the turners shop that you don't want to by cheap,as you will regret it later on.You may want to check Craigs list in your area.I have seen some good deals there.Good luck.

Tom, Frank gave you good advice on the bandsaws. Now if you just want to get back to turning,take your chain saw and cut off the corners.It woun't be as good as a bs will be, but it's a lot better than a square blank. If your blank isn't real thick i'll use my 12" miter saw and cut the corners off. Hope that might help get ya started, and please post pics.:D
Steve

Sorry for the frustration, but you've gotten good advice so far, Tom. The Grizzly G0555 and its brethren are good saws, and especially with a riser, are likely to be able to handle the sizes of blanks you're likely to be turning. As others have said, bigger is better, and used tools can be a good deal, too.

For now, I'd go with Steve's advice and knock the corners off with a chainsaw and spin up some of that walnut. Once you have curlies flying all over the place, you'll almost forget about your bandsaw troubles. :)

Here's an example of a few "chainsaw round" blanks that went straight onto the lathe. I only rounded the blanks that were bigger than I wanted to wrestle onto the bandsaw. (For scale, that's an 18" bar on the chainsaw)...

Woodward Elm - 12 800.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the chainsaw will have to do for now. I've looked around tonight and do not see anything decent for sale in my area so I will have to just keep looking. I would not mind buying used, if I can find something in good shape.

Tom

Tom,
Have to agree with advice todate.. go big on the BS if you can.. I have a Delta 14" without a riser yet, it's frustrating trying to put big blanks under it.... I do use my chainsaw to set up most of my bowl blanks...

Vaughn,
Those are some honking bowl blanks you got set up...

I'm so frustrated right now

WOW,hope you get it.That looks looks like one heck of a good deal for 350.00.I would grab it up in a heartbeat ifn I were close enough.I'v heard a lot of good talk about em.Good luck.

Last edited:
I did find this. Can anyone tell me anything about it good or bad. I e-mailed the owner for info. What about the price?
http://muncie.craigslist.org/tls/1285934602.html

Tom

Tom don't be fooled by the 16" measurement. That is just the depth of the throat. From the blade to the back neck. It still looks like maybe a 6" thick black is all the depth you will get. This is the grizzly I got with the riser block and will cut 12 1/2" deep blank. With a 1/2" 3 tpi Timberwolf blade it has cut everything I have thrown at it. It is a 1 1/2 hp like the other one and doesn't look like it will accept a riser block.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw/G0555X

Hello,

The Craigslist saw is a good saw, but it will be limited. You can't put a riser block on it. I would say a 14" delta/jet/grizzly would be better if you ever plan on slabbing any lumber.

Hold off and something better will come up.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Is there much difference between the Grizzly 14" G0555 and the G0555X. I know the X stands for the "Extreme" edition...but is it worth the extra money? the regular 14" will also take a riser. I'm just trying to find what would be right for me without spending more than I need to for more machine than I will need.

Tom

I really hope I don't come off sounding too cheap but....where do you stop with the "extras". I mean it is kind of like buying a car. You can keep upgrading with options until the price is double where you started...then you still just drive it to the grocery store. Yes those options would be very nice to have but.....would I ever really use them. I would never pay extra for leather seats in a car. My butt sits on fabric seats just fine. Am I wrong? You wouldn't buy a Ferrari just to drive to Walmart.

Tom

Last edited:
Tom,
If your never going to do any flatwork then the non non X model my be adaquate, although the extra 1/2 HP would be nice for the thicker pieces you may want it. If you ever do mush flat work and want to resaw I think you'd regret not having the resaw fence. JMHO.
My BS only has 3/4 HP and I sure would like the extra HP and the bigger fence.
Many moons ago when man invented Fire I started wood working I tried to do things on the cheap. I soon discovered that in the long run I am short changing my self. Now I buy the biggest and baddest tools that I can afford. Even if it means waiting.

Last edited:
I really hope I don't come off sounding too cheap but....where do you stop with the "extras". I mean it is kind of like buying a car. You can keep upgrading with options until the price is double where you started...then you still just drive it to the grocery store. Yes those options would be very nice to have but.....would I ever really use them. I would never pay extra for leather seats in a car. My butt sits on fabric seats just fine. Am I wrong? You wouldn't buy a Ferrari just to drive to Walmart.

Tom

That's a very good question, especially when it comes to buying major tools. When I visit the Grizzly store I'm always amused and tempted by their displays and marketing technique. If I'm considering buying something, I'll first go to the unit I picked out from the catalog to see and touch it in person. But, invariably, the next better model is right next to it and doesn't cost a lot more. Look at that one, think "nice". Then you notice the next one and it doesn't cost much more. Look at that one and think "very nice". Then you notice the NEXT one and on and on. The problem is that the better features are really better and very desirable. Usually the budget decides where to stop.
In the case of the G0555X, probably would be a good decision.
With my non-X model, I will be VERY conscious of the fact it doesn't have a big motor when I am cutting up big chunks or resawing. It isn't a bandmill. It is a bandsaw that treats me well, I don't want to wreck it.