curlies

Stuff cloth made puppies:)

Hey, now that's an IDEA, Toni.:thumb: "IF" the curlies were from Aromatic Cedar, (and you aren't allergic to Cedar), you could just put a puppy in a chest or hanging clothes bag for Moth protection.

(I know, my mind runs in weird circles, that is, when it actually runs any more).:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I really thought more people would bite on this. :rolleyes:
Oh, well. It is partly a brag, or at least it started out to be. Most who follow the turning threads know I have had a long time struggle learning to use the bowl gouge. I have read books, watched videos, had hands on personal instruction and, still, it's a 'touch and catch' experience for me almost every time. I have done some bowls and other items with the bowl gouge but don't know what I did right at the time. :dunno:
But, the catches have/had me really freaked out and I became afraid to even try using the bowl gouge.
Well, yesterday, I got stubborn (that is not the same as being brave or determined) and started turning a walnut bowl. Things went pretty well (curlies) until I looked at the tenon before reversing and chucking up. What I thought was some sapwood turned out to be spalt. Oh, well, chucked up anyway. Went to work on front (top). All was going well until I hit a small catch then it was flying saucer time. After I found all my teeth, I looked at the chuck. No doubt, spalted (meaning soft rotted) wood is not stout enough for chuck work.
Not sure what I'm going to do now. Cutting off the spalt will make this a pretty tiny, and shallow, bowl. Burn pile? Dunno, will decide later. Bowl gouges just don't like me.

Attachments

• chuck with spalt.jpg
    chuck with spalt.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 36
I saw the pic yesterday and was trying to figure out how you made them, knowing full well there wasn't much chance you'd done it with a bowl gouge. :p Looks like it was working pretty good for you until the tenon quit. Don't give up on it. It really is a friendly tool once you get comfortable with it. :D

Sorry Frank can't whine and blame it on the bowl gouge this time.:rofl:

Sounds to me like you did pretty well till the tenon give out. Sometimes what I do Frank is when I turn spalted wood and I am unsure of the tenon strength due to spalting after the tenon is formed I will soak it with thin CA. I have did this 3 or 4 times with great success. I don't mean soak just the edge the chuck will clamp on I mean the whole tenon. Keep after it Frank. One of these days you will be a world famous bowl turner commanding hundreds of dollars for your bowls.:rolleyes:;):)

Sorry Frank can't whine and blame it on the bowl gouge this time.:rofl:

Sounds to me like you did pretty well till the tenon give out. Sometimes what I do Frank is when I turn spalted wood and I am unsure of the tenon strength due to spalting after the tenon is formed I will soak it with thin CA. I have did this 3 or 4 times with great success. I don't mean soak just the edge the chuck will clamp on I mean the whole tenon. Keep after it Frank. One of these days you will be a world famous bowl turner commanding hundreds of dollars for your bowls.:rolleyes:;):)

Actually, my plans were to remove about 50% of the interior then stabilize the whole thing. It would just fit in my paint pot and I figured stabled walnut with some spalt might look good.