Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need some White Oak

Help! Need some White Oak

I'm in the middle of a commission for two serving trays and a platter.

First tray worked out beautiful.

Second tray, during the polishing stage, split right down the middle.

The platter turned out very well, too.

My problem:

I need to make another tray. To do it, I need a piece of flat sawn 4/4 to 5/4 thick. The hard part is that it needs to be 15" X 15". Can anyone help?

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Bruce,
    If it split can't you glue it back together ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

BORG?

seriously Bruce. I get table tops, chair and various other things in the shop that have either split or come unglued due to age. Some clamps, cauls and glue and when I'm done you can't tell where I made the repairs.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    BORG?
    15" x 15" x 1"+? In my area, the Borgs don't carry oak (or pine, for that matter) anywhere near that size.

Bruce, I have some relatively green local oak (don't really know the species) in my woodpile. It's got a lot of inclusions and voids...the tree was taken down due to bugs and rot. I don't think I have anything in that size, but I'll check. I'll let you know what I find. If I've got something that'd work for you, it's yours for the cost of shipping.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bruce, If you like I'll see if I have enough to do a glue-up. I know I don't have any pieces that wide. If you'd like I'll glue it up for ya and make the same offer as Vaughn.

I just checked and I have some 9" wide that I could glue up for ya. Don't know if it will fit in a flat rate box ?
    Last edited by Don Baer; 08-22-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks all.

Don. I, too, have done glueups and biscuits, etc. There are two reasons for no glue-up.

1. The tray was 1/4" thick, no can do.

2. The customer doesn't want a glue up. I thought about book matching 8/4, but he said that he would wait till I find the big piece. I even thought about using some veneer and make cross layers to support the weakness, but no go.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Bruce, Contact my hardwood supplier. He can get you just about anything. He even has his own saw mill.

http://www.powerswoodsource.com/

His name is John Powers his cell phone is 480 677-1473 and he does ship. He's a great guy and will treat you well.
    BTW Bruce I don't use biscuits.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 08-22-2009 at 03:21 AM.

I just checked the widest stuff I have and it's only 14". Let me know if that would work somehow, if so, it's yours. Hey Don, where is Power Wood Source located? The website says Oregon, but they have an AZ phone#. Looks like they have decent prices.

Barry, They are in Chandler just off of Arizona south of Ray road. They used to be Chandler hardwoods before they city made them move. They are not "Officialy" open yet since they are in the process of installing sprinklers but if you call John he will sell to you, tell him I sent you. They do have the mill in Oregon but he also has a mill here where he custom mills Meaquite and Ironwood to any size you want.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 08-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.