Help! Need some White Oak

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
I'm in the middle of a commission for two serving trays and a platter.

First tray worked out beautiful.

Second tray, during the polishing stage, split right down the middle.

The platter turned out very well, too.

My problem:

I need to make another tray. To do it, I need a piece of flat sawn 4/4 to 5/4 thick. The hard part is that it needs to be 15" X 15". Can anyone help?

Bruce

15" x 15" x 1"+? In my area, the Borgs don't carry oak (or pine, for that matter) anywhere near that size.

Bruce, I have some relatively green local oak (don't really know the species) in my woodpile. It's got a lot of inclusions and voids...the tree was taken down due to bugs and rot. I don't think I have anything in that size, but I'll check. I'll let you know what I find. If I've got something that'd work for you, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Bruce, If you like I'll see if I have enough to do a glue-up. I know I don't have any pieces that wide. If you'd like I'll glue it up for ya and make the same offer as Vaughn.

I just checked and I have some 9" wide that I could glue up for ya. Don't know if it will fit in a flat rate box ?

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Don. I, too, have done glueups and biscuits, etc. There are two reasons for no glue-up.

1. The tray was 1/4" thick, no can do.

2. The customer doesn't want a glue up. I thought about book matching 8/4, but he said that he would wait till I find the big piece. I even thought about using some veneer and make cross layers to support the weakness, but no go.

Bruce

I just checked the widest stuff I have and it's only 14":(. Let me know if that would work somehow, if so, it's yours. Hey Don, where is Power Wood Source located? The website says Oregon, but they have an AZ phone#. Looks like they have decent prices.

Barry, They are in Chandler just off of Arizona south of Ray road. They used to be Chandler hardwoods before they city made them move. They are not "Officialy" open yet since they are in the process of installing sprinklers but if you call John he will sell to you, tell him I sent you. They do have the mill in Oregon but he also has a mill here where he custom mills Meaquite and Ironwood to any size you want.

Last edited:
bruce, i checked with forest product supply while i was there today, and they did have a board as wide as you needed, but not as thick, and about 10-12 feet long. the guy said that the whole board would have to be bought.

Thanks folks.

Dan - the freight would kill me.

Don - I called and left a message for John and am waiting for an answer.

Barry - Let me see how the thing with John works out, then we can discuss it further. I might be able to talk him into 14"

Bruce