Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parallel parking....

parallel parking....

"Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    When I got my class A CDL I had to parallel Park a 53 foot trailer with the 20 Ft tractor attached. try parallel parking a 73 some foot vehicle that bends.. and I only had to weeks to learn how.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 08-22-2009 at 07:48 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That was great James! I am thinking of getting some plastic tires for my truck, so that I can use his technique.

I have seen quite a few people struggle at parallel parking lately and it makes me wonder if it is still part of the drivers test. I just have to stop and watch the attempt. Sometimes real life is funnier than anything we can think up as entertainment.

That was cute.
    Can't remember the last time I had to parallel park.
    Once upon a time, I was good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    When I got my class A CDL I had to parrallel Park a 52 foot trailer with the tractor attached. try parrallel parking a 70 some foot vehicle.. and I only had to weeks to learn how.

Don,
    and that's a skill most OTR drivers use every night... unless they're lucky enough to find a pull through spot at the truck stop.

I always kid new drivers... who are stressing about taking their road test. I ask if they've practiced parallel parking, then ask them if they could do it with something that Bends in the middle. Usually their eyes get as big as dinner plates and they gasp. One of my son's girlfriends came back to me and said that my joking like that made her feel at ease on the actual test. Thinking of my quip when she was parallel parking made doing her test easier seem simple in comparison, which of course it is (not that parallel parking a semi is hard, for a good driver)
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    That was cute.
    Can't remember the last time I had to parallel park.
    Once upon a time, I was good at it.
    I suspect that you could still do it without too much jockeying around. Biggest problem I found when I have tried it after not having done it for a while, is remembering when to start the turn. You know right away when you did it wrong, you don't even have to finish the turn.

I have seen people attempt it lately that really had no clue how to do it. The last was a women who ended up with both back wheels touching the curb together. Her car was perpendicular to the curb! I especially like those people who try to fit into a space that is smaller than their car and I don't mean by a little! Can't they tell just by looking there is no way they will make into that space???

That was really cute, the smile on the little kids face is priceless.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

High Speed Parallel Parking

Try This One

Maybe Stu can translate!?!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

There was a time when we all had to parallel park, Only shopping was on Main stree, downtown, no Malls and hugh Walmart parking lots with everybody trying to squeeze into the handicapped places.... Was a skill we just learned. I can still do it today. A while back I was driving my P-U truck (Super Crew Cab w/8' bed) only place available was Parallel and it looked like a Smart Car hole.... got her in there and a few inches from the curb, to boot. My friend said "I'm impressed" (I was too) but when I grew up, that was all there was. (ever try to push start an old Packard from a Parallel parking spot?)

Try parallel parking a 800 foot freighter that has just sailed from Dublin into a berth with 10 feet of clearance between the docks...that does not bend in the middle. Of course 3 tugs pushing on it helps!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"