Wood maybe to much

Dan Mosley

I went to run a couple errands today and when i got back my gardner had dumped off more wood for me from a mesquite tree that he just cut down (Pic Below).
Which is all fine but i dont have anywhere to put it nor enough anchor seal to seal it up. I actually have more firewood then i want (see pic below) and now wondering what i will due with the new load. Im sure the wife will be a bit mad but i wanted the wood .........ahhhhhh well
I have ordered another gallon of anchor seal but dont expect until mid week. I think ill leave it as is and have to seal it up and place it along side the house under the eve on the concrete drive way and hope for the best. Anyother area and it would be in wet soil or grass so ill put a couple wood stingers down and stack it up off the concrete - temps here still very hot and wont turn until late Sept but its all i can do for now.
I sure like the mesquite and the natural colors with just oil finish when turned so i hope i dont lose much .........
Any ideas for hot temps and storage? LOL i know goooood luck

Dan

Attachments

• New-Pile.jpg
    New-Pile.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Wood-Pile.jpg
    Wood-Pile.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 62
Thanks both ideas im going to use - i have a covered area in the front where there is soil damp but out of the direct sun and ill stand some up under there as suggested.
Also ill start cutting the pith out of some of it as soon as i can and probably cut them into blanks and seal them up and put in the garage - alothough ill be limited in the amount i can store there.....both ideas are great and thanks alot............Dan

That is a lot of wood. :eek:
You could go into business selling it.
Why buy Anchorseal one gallon at a time? If you buy a five gallon bucket, there is no shipping charge. The stuff keeps as long as it doesn't get frozen. If you think it is more than you can use, friends will be happy to buy a couple gallons at the reduced cost.

Mesquite won't spalt, it's a very rot resistant wood. I ran out of wood sealer a while back, I've just been using old latex. Here in the heat it dries in no time. By the time your done with the last one, it's dry enough to start on the first one again, you can build it up as thick as you want this way, probably not as good as anchor seal, but it works fine for me.

Another thing you can try in order to slow down the checking, spray it down well with the hose, get the ground good and soaked, then cover loosely with a plastic tarp, in the shade if possible. This will create a very humid environment that will slow the drying process until you can properly seal. Stand up whatever you can on end, and only lose moisture from one end. You can respray every day or so, depending on conditions.

Dan

I am ordering the anchor seal today but i did start on cutting some of it up had to stop as i ran out of the sealer that i did have - some has already started to crack at the pitch but ill cut them down when the new sealer arrives and hope for the best. whats left will make firewood i guess....Thanks Dan

...whats left will make firewood i guess...

Firewood? I hope you meant cooking wood. :D Great haul, and I'll just echo the advice others have already given. IYu

When I ordered my 5 gallon bucket of sealer a couple years ago, UC Coatings was charging to ship the buckets to areas like California, but I think it was free to areas closer to their warehouse. I ended up buying from Craft Supplies for a few bucks less. (It was their house brand, which I suspect is simply relabeled Anchor Seal.)

[...]I ordered my 5 gallon bucket of sealer a couple years ago [...] I ended up buying from Craft Supplies [...] (It was their house brand, which I suspect is simply relabeled Anchor Seal.)

I bought a 1-quart container of Artisan brand sealer from Craft Supplies a few years ago. I finally used it all up earlier this year. ('Bout time!) :eek: I took the container to Timberline and had them refill it from their big drum of AnchorSeal.

The two products are very similar, but there is a difference. AnchorSeal seems more ... waxy, or something. :huh: I almost prefer the Artisan version, but that's probably just 'cause I got used to it. It's entirely possible that AnchorSeal is the superior product, but ... well, you'll just have to see for yourself if you ever burn through your 5-gallon supply. :)

Kerry, I'll have to check my bucket, but I don't recall it saying "Artisan". Now you've got me wondering if I got it somewhere else. :huh: Or maybe I just missed seeing the name. :dunno: I've not used real Anchor Seal...my only other experience has been with Rockler's version of it.

I can't get anchor seal here in Japan, I've always wondered if I could make it :dunno:

I read >> HERE << on their MSDS sheet (PDF), that it is;

40% - 45% Petroleum Wax
7.5% Methanol

That adds up to 47.5% to 52.5%, so I guess the rest of it is water :huh: :rolleyes:

I wonder if I could make some?

I know for you guys in the US, why bother, but I'm NOT in the US :wave:

Need to find an old blender, I think if I used the one from the kitchen, I might be sleeping in the Dungeon ;) :D

You can make a sealer yourself out of parafin wax and paint thinner - I think the ratio is 6-1. It has been awhile since i made some and you have to let it sit out for a time to turn into a pasty liquid. Grating the wax helps