Thread: OK, instead of what don't you need

OK, instead of what don't you need

Do you want one of these ?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/festool/domino.asp

Jay

nope but i`m lookin` real hard at this
    http://www.mereen-johnson.com:80/mj.aspx?id=130
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Nope, I can use my brace, an auger bit (the original cordless drill) and a my Stanley Dowel jig and accomplish the same thing. Plus I don't have to buy proprietary dowels or what ever they call them. I just use standard dowel rod that I can pick up the lumber yard.

Just a high dollar version of the miller dowel and whats the serrated looking one? Just something else to spend money on and then run out of that I don't need.

And I am sure it will they will sell lots of them.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I'm with Jeff on this one. I don't do biscuits either way too many gadgets out there. I do have a selfcentering dowel jig and I don't use a brace and bit, just mu handy dandy battery operated drill with a good brad point bit but that cause I'm lazy..
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I have studied the Domino extensively since I first heard of it about a year ago. I do think that it is a unique tool and I do want one. The loose tenons that it employs are better than either dowels or biscuits.

But, I can't justify one now and doubt that I every will. So, although I want it, I probably will never purchase a Domino.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-13-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Cheers, Frank

I knew that you could not stand not buying any more tools Jay.

Allen

Nope, not really. If they were selling them at HF prices Iíd be interested, but I know thatís not going to happen Ė I think I heard they were going to go for around $800! I donít find standard mortise & tenon joinery difficult and if I were building the box in the video Iíd just use biscuits which are fine for that application.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

LOL Allen

I didn't say I was buying, just wanted to see what the other tool junkies around here would say!

I haven't gone through all the videos yet so I'll wait to form an opinon, but if the $800 price is accurate, that isn't probably going to happen until 2011!

I've got a Craftsman bisquit jointer that has served me well, going to work on loose tenons with my router.

Jay

No, not really. Already got a biscuit joiner, and also a pocket-hole setup.

What I'd like to upgrade to is one of these ... but I think I need a slightly bigger shop, and a few more bucks. just a few.

Of course, a lot of people like this also, I'm intrigued by it as well. Oh yeah, and when I move into that larger shop, probably one of these also. Some day. No rush.

But in the short term, I think I'll focus on one of these. Already got some castors. Just need some plywood and time...

Hey Don, I found a really good use for biscuits. Well actually two. But I may never use the biscuit jointers again either.

I made some Taper Columns in my house. The biscuits were perfect for aligning the mitered corners. A dowel would have been harder to do there. Of course I could have used a spline too. I used a spline recently on a some posts I made and I think I like it better. And it's cheaper, I don't have to buy anything.

This is where I was installing them (obviously).

Where they really worked great was on the walls. I used a biscuit where the rails and stiles meet. That kept the joint tight and I didn't have to use a bunch of nails and then have to patch the holes.

I don't have a finished photo handy.

Jeff
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits