OK, instead of what don't you need

Nope, I can use my brace, an auger bit (the original cordless drill) and a my Stanley Dowel jig and accomplish the same thing. Plus I don't have to buy proprietary dowels or what ever they call them. I just use standard dowel rod that I can pick up the lumber yard.

Just a high dollar version of the miller dowel and whats the serrated looking one? Just something else to spend money on and then run out of that I don't need.

And I am sure it will they will sell lots of them.

I have studied the Domino extensively since I first heard of it about a year ago. I do think that it is a unique tool and I do want one. The loose tenons that it employs are better than either dowels or biscuits.

But, I can't justify one now and doubt that I every will. So, although I want it, I probably will never purchase a Domino.

Last edited:
Nope, not really. If they were selling them at HF prices I’d be interested, but I know that’s not going to happen – I think I heard they were going to go for around $800!:eek: I don’t find standard mortise & tenon joinery difficult and if I were building the box in the video I’d just use biscuits which are fine for that application.

LOL Allen

I didn't say I was buying, just wanted to see what the other tool junkies around here would say!

I haven't gone through all the videos yet so I'll wait to form an opinon, but if the $800 price is accurate, that isn't probably going to happen until 2011!

I've got a Craftsman bisquit jointer that has served me well, going to work on loose tenons with my router.

Jay

No, not really. Already got a biscuit joiner, and also a pocket-hole setup.

What I'd like to upgrade to is one of these ... but I think I need a slightly bigger shop, and a few more bucks. just a few.;)

Of course, a lot of people like this also, I'm intrigued by it as well. Oh yeah, and when I move into that larger shop, probably one of these also. Some day. No rush.

But in the short term, I think I'll focus on one of these. Already got some castors. Just need some plywood and time...

Hey Don, I found a really good use for biscuits. Well actually two. But I may never use the biscuit jointers again either.

I made some Taper Columns in my house. The biscuits were perfect for aligning the mitered corners. A dowel would have been harder to do there. Of course I could have used a spline too. I used a spline recently on a some posts I made and I think I like it better. And it's cheaper, I don't have to buy anything.

column_installed1.jpg

This is where I was installing them (obviously).

Where they really worked great was on the walls. I used a biscuit where the rails and stiles meet. That kept the joint tight and I didn't have to use a bunch of nails and then have to patch the holes.

platerail.jpg

I don't have a finished photo handy.

Jeff

Jeff,
For the first one I'd have used a spline and on the second I would either use dowls or maybe even a half lap joint. I haven't graduated to M&T yet but plan to soon. Just a matter of working with what you have so I still see no reason to by a biscuit jointer when there are so many other ways of doing stuff. I own a small pocket srew jig but have never used it either. Maybe some day I will when I think it is the way to go.

Jeff

That is great looking stuff. How did you calculate the angle(s) for the column? I think there are two that work together, the basic angle whe looking at the column from one side, e.g. the "taper" from bottom to top.

But isn't the angle on the edge tricky? At first I thought it would just be 45 degrees, but then I recall reading somewhere that 45 won't work on the edges of a tapered column (and then of course there is the bottom angle as well).

Can't remember where I read this, or if my recollection is accurate!

Jay

PS

Did some more roaming around before I posted this

found this site

http://www.hobbywoods.com/free_woodworking_software.htm

go to "polycut"