Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: more box elder

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Posts
    3,132

    more box elder

    hey all i wasn't gonna post this as i figure your getting tired of seeing me..
    But as i got a tipod this weekend i thought i'd try it out. this is what i'm calling a fruit bowl as it's13"x 3" and just reminds me of one.Well here it is, i hope the pics are at least a little better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009 [800x600].JPG   010 [800x600].JPG   011 [800x600].JPG  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa & NC
    Posts
    432

    More box elder

    WOW,I never get tired of seein work like that.FANTASTIC you done did good

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mason Michigan
    Posts
    455
    Excellent job Stephen!

    Doesn't look like the box elder I've seen but it sure is pretty.
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

    Tom Waits

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Goodland, Kansas
    Posts
    4,834
    That is a beauty Stephen. Really nice wood and finish.
    Bernie W.

    Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ward View Post
    WOW,I never get tired of seein work like that.FANTASTIC you done did good
    Ken thanks i'm trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan View Post
    Excellent job Stephen!

    Doesn't look like the box elder I've seen but it sure is pretty.
    Pete it don't have much red but it does have some.This is a piece of crotch. I wish it had more red but,o well i still keep hoping i'll find some better flame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    That is a beauty Stephen. Really nice wood and finish.
    Thanks Bernie. my boss saw it this mourning and wanted to steel this one to, but i didn't let him this time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    2,380
    Beautiful Stephen! Great shape, and finish. The grain in that is very nice. Well done!

    Tom

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,020
    That's a great-looking bowl, Steve. Darker than the box elder I've turned, but it's real pretty stuff. I like the form on this one, too. (I'm a small foot kind of guy.)

    The tripod sure made an improvement compared to the last set of pics. The focus is much better. Next you'll get into playing with the lighting to get rid of shadows. (Photos are another little Vortex all on their own.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Beautiful Stephen! Great shape, and finish. The grain in that is very nice. Well done!

    Tom
    Tom thanks i'm trying
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That's a great-looking bowl, Steve. Darker than the box elder I've turned, but it's real pretty stuff. I like the form on this one, too. (I'm a small foot kind of guy.)

    The tripod sure made an improvement compared to the last set of pics. The focus is much better. Next you'll get into playing with the lighting to get rid of shadows. (Photos are another little Vortex all on their own.)
    Vaughn not sure why the wood is so much darker than what i've seen elsewhere. The only thing i can think of is this tree was very healthy when we had it taken down. it was right in the way of the house we are getting ready to start.( not the one i've been showing)
    As far as lighting i've got a bunch of lights so i'm gonna experment a little this weekend and see if i can figure it out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    854
    That is a really nice piece. The finish is awesome.

  10. #10
    That's a beauty! and a BIG one too! Wish I had that capacity

Similar Threads

  1. Box Elder
    By Les Elm in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 01:40 AM
  2. A little bit of box elder
    By Dale Johnson in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
  3. Box Elder HF
    By Neal Addy in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 01:11 AM
  4. Box Elder HF
    By Neal Addy in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 02:00 AM
  5. Red Box Elder HF
    By Vaughn McMillan in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 06:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •