Darn - now I need a lathe . . .

Congrats, Jim. I've not used one, but based on other peoples' comments, I'm sure you'll be real happy with that lathe. And you're right about most of your purchases being applicable to the next lathe, too. Heck, a lot of guys that have big lathes keep their mini lathes (especially if they're Jet mini lathes) for turning the smaller stuff. They may be small, but they are professional quality. :thumb:

Hi Jim,
Welcome to our world.. where things go round, round, round......

You'll like the Jet1014... I got one as my second lathe.. it was a gift from my son. I've since graduated up to a Jet 1442 with a Reeves system for changing speeds, but find I still turn to the little lathe for some things.. notably pens and bottle stoppers, even though I can do them on the bigger lathe... Many here tout the EVS as the cat's meow, but mine is still the old change the belt style. I don't even think about it, when I need to change speeds, just switch the belts... takes about 20 seconds. I can't comment on the price since mine was a gift, but it does seem to be a good value.. with an extension bed. Go for it and if you get sucked to the bottom of the vortex, you'll always have it as a back up.