Road Trip! New map - new schedule!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
For some time prior to Linda's passing we spoke of how I was going to get along on my own. After all, I've been married all but 7 days in the past 40 years! Being alone is not something I'm used to. Her greatest concern was for me and my well being - so typical for her.

She was adamant that I should not hang around the house and mope, that I needed to get out and do something during the first few months that would help me put life in perspective and give me time to plan for the future. From this grew the Idea of a "Perspective Tour". Just me and the dog on a cross country road trip. 3 or 4 weeks, see some friends and relatives and let them know I'm going to be OK. So, with the urging of my son and daughter I went shopping for a trailer. This is what I found - 4 years old, 18', and a good floor plan for a single occupant. It was very lightly used - the gas and microwave ovens have never been used, and very clean. I think I got a great deal.
DSC_0123.jpgDSC_0126.jpgDSC_0136.jpgDSC_0128.jpgDSC_0130.jpgDSC_0131.jpgDSC_0132.jpgDSC_0134.jpgDSC_0135.jpg

I'm still planning the route and I hope to drop in on a few family members along the way. I know I have at least one stop in Michigan and another in Arkansas on the list as well as a couple in upstate NY. I'd like to see many of you, but I know that it will not be possible to see all of you - I leave that to the ambassador! If I don't see you, please don't feel offended as time, money, and the restrictions of the route as determined by the geographical location of relatives will be the determining factor in the end.

One rule - if I stop in to see you it's for a cold one, some good talk, and some laughs. A couple of hours and then I need to move on. Please don't ask me to stay as I will need my time alone.

This will all take place during the second half of September and early October - God willing.

Last edited:
That is a wonderful plan, Rennie. Having some experience with travel trailers and motor homes I would ask you to do ONE Favor for me before you start your trip. In the last three years, there have been "Several" trailers and motor homes in the news that caught fire and burned quickly on the interstates as they were driving down the road here in West Texas, (some quite new). Due to the nature of the way they are built and bumps and vibrations that occur while driving, sometimes the fittings can loosen and/or seals can leak partially due to age hardening and then the vibration plus rocks and other things can get thrown up hitting the lines and causing damage and then a spark of any kind can set it off and the wind just fans the flames.

With this in mind, please do a good visual inspection of ALL lines and connections plus a good leak test before you go. As an added precaution, close the valve at the Propane tank each time before you start to drive, and ANY Time you smell any propane when parked, since butane/propane will settle in a low spot (under the trailer), and it does not dissipate quickly like natural gas, which "Rises" and dissipates fairly quickly.

Sorry if this sounds like an old mother hen, but I just want your trip to be safe and uneventful. I wish you the very best on your trip.

Since you have planned stops in Michigan and upstate New York, you'll pretty much be passing right by here on the way. Drop down to I-80 (instead of I-90) and come visit for a while. We'd enjoy seeing you!

That looks like a great setup, Rennie. :thumb: I lived in one about that size for a few months while working an out of town job years ago. Yours should be great for a Perspective Tour, and a lot of fun afterward.

It goes without saying, but you're welcome to drop by my little corner of Los Angeles if you make it out this way. :wave:

That is a great idea.

You are most welcome at my place as well. I am afraid I won't be able to offer you a cold one (alcohol is a big no no) but I can guarantee a good talk and a few laughs.

That is a wonderful plan, Rennie. Having some experience with travel trailers and motor homes I would ask you to do ONE Favor for me before you start your trip. In the last three years, there have been "Several" trailers and motor homes in the news that caught fire and burned quickly on the interstates as they were driving down the road here in West Texas, (some quite new). Due to the nature of the way they are built and bumps and vibrations that occur while driving, sometimes the fittings can loosen and/or seals can leak partially due to age hardening and then the vibration plus rocks and other things can get thrown up hitting the lines and causing damage and then a spark of any kind can set it off and the wind just fans the flames.

With this in mind, please do a good visual inspection of ALL lines and connections plus a good leak test before you go. As an added precaution, close the valve at the Propane tank each time before you start to drive, and ANY Time you smell any propane when parked, since butane/propane will settle in a low spot (under the trailer), and it does not dissipate quickly like natural gas, which "Rises" and dissipates fairly quickly.

Sorry if this sounds like an old mother hen, but I just want your trip to be safe and uneventful. I wish you the very best on your trip.
Sound advice! Thanks:thumb:

Good Plan, Sir.

Good plan.

I highly suggest you hop yer way over to I5 and trickle yer way south - stop'n see me and then go see Vaughn, give Glenn a visit, too, while yer down thattaway. Then you can hang a left and do whatever else your open road decides. :D

If there was an "i insist" smiley, I'd be usin' it :D

Good Plan, Sir.

Good plan.

I highly suggest you hop yer way over to I5 and trickle yer way south - stop'n see me and then go see Vaughn, give Glenn a visit, too, while yer down thattaway. Then you can hang a left and do whatever else your open road decides. :D

Sure then you could take I-10 east throught Phoenix..and I am sure that many of the Phoenix would set you up with a few cold ones.
:D

Sounds like a great thing for you to do Rennie, all of your family and friends are here to help in any way possible. If your in Michigan, northern Indiana I would love to travel to be part of a visit. If one of your stops are at our Ambassadors, well that is only 13 miles from my place, I can with no problem make that location. Make it YOUR trip and enjoy, if it is your wish, log in when you can, would love to follow your travels:)

Have fun on the trip.I would say you could stop in here, but I will not be around in that time frame. Maybe we will cross path on the road as that is about when I plan takeing off for a breather.:wave:

Good Plan, Sir.

Good plan.

Sure then you could take I-10 east throught Phoenix..and I am sure that many of the Phoenix would set you up with a few cold ones.
:D
Sorry gents, maybe next time. The southwest will have to wait, I'm heading north and east (mostly):D

Sounds like a great thing for you to do Rennie, all of your family and friends are here to help in any way possible. If your in Michigan, northern Indiana I would love to travel to be part of a visit. If one of your stops are at our Ambassadors, well that is only 13 miles from my place, I can with no problem make that location. Make it YOUR trip and enjoy, if it is your wish, log in when you can, would love to follow your travels:)
Larry's on my list, so let's do it!:thumb: