Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewelry chest with legs-walnut, spanish cedar/lingerie cabinet mahogany/maple drawers

Jewelry chest with legs-walnut, spanish cedar/lingerie cabinet mahogany/maple drawers

This is my second attempt at cabinet part, first one glued up crooked, too much clamp pressure.
    Not sure if walnut and spanish cedar will work colorwise, but then again, Im not too sure about anything I build when I start.
    Im taking my time and having fun.
    The unit will have two drawers, one will have ring cushion inside, the top cabinet part will have walnut panel doors, spanish cedar frames, the walnut cut into 1/4 slice from thicker stock, no glueups on any of this.
    Legs are tapered on 2 sides.
    There will be 2 necklace carousels in center cabinet. Brass knobs for all handles.
    Drawer fronts will be spanish cedar. finish will be oil and then rubbed on poly,4-6 coats.
    Took a few pics, showed how I routed the walnut edges, (My selection of ogee, roundover, or cove bits is about 4, so there isnt much of a selection for me, I will buy more bits one day, Im just lazy)
    Sorry about some of the picture quality, hands have shut down today, and I had to leave the garage before my eyes shut down also.

After forgetting to rabbet out the back on the first attempt, I forgot again on the second attempt, but had only stuck a few pins in to hold it in position when I clamped, but I got it apart easy enough, finally put the rabbet in for back.(back will be sapele ply-1/4 inch)
    Just though Id share my next attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1201 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1202 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1203 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1204 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1205 (Medium).jpg  

wood stuff 1206 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 09-14-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Oy Vey Allen you are a going too fast for me to keep up. Looking good as usual. I am still trying to get to my project.
    cheers

Looks great as usual, but do you ever take time to sleep or eat ??. I sure admire your energy and drive.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Oy Vey Allen you are a going too fast for me to keep up. Looking good as usual. I am still trying to get to my project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Looks great as usual, but do you ever take time to sleep or eat ??. I sure admire your energy and drive.
    Ditto. you're making my head hurt.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I dont think I build faster than anyone. I just think I have alot more time to spend at it then most do that do it only as a hobby.
    Its therapy for me most of the time. (only yesterday, but that box had it coming)

some items just refuse to be built....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ...(only yesterday, but that box had it coming)
    Another slant on Dan's comment...sometimes it's simply necessary to perform the Hammer Test on things. It can be especially satisfying (and therapeutic) on things like calculators with stuck keys, or woodworking projects that don't want to cooperate.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

finished all the parts today, made the drawers, 1/2 inch spanish cedar, butt jointed with pins, I love that grex, just gotta get used to that middle finger release trigger. Rabbeted out the bottom for sapele 1/4 ply bottom, will be covered anyway.
    Drawers fit, didnt attach the drawer fronts yet, cut the two door frames for top. Had to use mahogany for the drawer fronts. Had a huge short piece all cracked, so I cut it up and planed/jointed it till I got some useful pieces.
    Heres the pics. dont know why I continue to post pics, Im sure Im putting alot of you to sleep, but Ill share it if someone still looks. (nothing besides the drawers are glued, so the top doors look crooked, thats because I am balancing them for the picture to see what it will look like)
    Back to work so the shop is shut down, then Ill be away till next tues or weds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1207 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1209 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1212 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1214 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1215 (Medium).jpg  

wood stuff 1216 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1218 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1220 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1221 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-27-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Allen, do you have any idea how much your woodworking skills have improved over the past year or so? You're kickin' butt and takin' names, buddy.

The jewelry cabinet is looking good so far.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I figured I couldnt have gotten much worse. I do appreciate the encouragement.

I really love this stuff.