Jewelry chest with legs-walnut, spanish cedar/lingerie cabinet mahogany/maple drawers

Allen, I did not mean to insinuate anything negative. Quite the opposite, I am more of a hands on, visual learner. So seeing the whole process, and the way you are explaining your problems, helps me and surely others avoid or at least identify problems. My whole intent Allen was to explain that I was watching without participating and I apologize for that and will become a more interactive learner through the remainder of your build. Thanks for the process so far, look forward to the rest!

Chris, yeah, pass me a glass of pop.

posting along the build still helps me get the advice I need or if I miss someething. I cant tell how many times the larrys, rennies, alans of this board have corrected or steered me the right way during abuild before I made an error or mistake.
Im reallly addicted. I work all day today, have to go home and take care of stuff, pack, minor stuff, but I wil be out in that hot box garage looking things over, maybe sorting out wood, will definately do something concerning wood

Allen, I did not mean to insinuate anything negative. Quite the opposite, I am more of a hands on, visual learner. So seeing the whole process, and the way you are explaining your problems, helps me and surely others avoid or at least identify problems. My whole intent Allen was to explain that I was watching without participating and I apologize for that and will become a more interactive learner through the remainder of your build. Thanks for the process so far, look forward to the rest!

Chris, yeah, pass me a glass of pop.

Again, my thoughts exactly.
I enjoy seeing everyones projects and watching the build process. I can read it in a book but it doesnt hit home until I see it or try it. I for one never get tired of the posts. I also think that its only respectful to add a response at some point to someones post. After all, time and effort went into the post and it must mean a lot to the person who posted it.
Sorry to ramble.

I started working on it again today, and wasnt thinking clearly.
I cut the mortise for the hinges on both sides of the door frames. I dont know what I was thinking. I tried to cut a piece to fill it in, since its the inside of the doors. I then tapped in the last piece with glue, and cracked a piece of frame.:doh::(:dunno: Im going to scrap both doors, and just start all over again.
Stiles and rails, always get me. Ive never worked on any so small.
I got all the hardware, and now that Im doing new doors, Im thinking maybe Ill try putting in a small arch in the rails. Maybe, even if I have to do it over 6 times, this is the last project on my list this year.

Allen, server space is not an issue. :thumb: Here are a few stats from the Admin side of the forum...

Top%20Attachment%20Users.jpg

Personally, I like seeing the blow-by-blow progress on a project. Even if it doesn't get a lot of comments from the popcorn gallery, it becomes a reference and educational asset for others down the road.

Carry on, my man.

Yep, Keep 'em coming, Allen.:thumb:

One tip I might mention that I have used in small door panels, (before we had space balls), :D was to glue only a small spot, (3/4" to 1" wide) at the bottom of the panel in the center of the rail. It worked well and what it does is keep the panel from rocking/sliding side to side creating a rattle, yet lets the door expand in both the horizontal and vertical directions. Anyhow, just thought I would pass it along as another possible option for you should you care to try it.

Allen as many have said yu are not wasting anyones time with your posts.. those that feel that way are the ones that are lost not the rest of us:) your advancement in your skills is from doing it..expierence is always the best teacher and yuor post show ing others the troubles and the good times is by far the best thing for learning.. kinda like walking next to a big paper wasp nest, looks neat but till yu bump it, yu dont know it can cause alot of pain..yu show us both the pain and the satisfaction of a job completed:thumb::thumb: many thanks for the contributions yu have given us.:D:thumb::thumb::thumb: keep up the good work bud.

Yep, Keep 'em coming, Allen.:thumb:

One tip I might mention that I have used in small door panels, (before we had space balls), :D was to glue only a small spot, (3/4" to 1" wide) at the bottom of the panel in the center of the rail. It worked well and what it does is keep the panel from rocking/sliding side to side creating a rattle, yet lets the door expand in both the horizontal and vertical directions. Anyhow, just thought I would pass it along as another possible option for you should you care to try it.

this is what I did. I also popped in a couple of pins in the center, decided to keep these doors and see how they work out.(Im too lazy to cut down and mill another piece of wood)

when I get a chance Ill post a picture how the doors turned out. I started making some holes for hardware, fighting with tiny 1/4 inch flat magnets to hold the top doors in position closed. A chore for me.
I rubbed down a coat of oil, so Im making a little progress.
My niece will be home in 2 weeks, and I wanted to suprise her with it, so Im going to keep the doors for now. Its only 8 screws. If shes totally happy, Ill leave the doors.
I lost 2 full sets of magnets so far. I bought 25 sets, so I have a ways to go.

a couple of pictures of the progress. All construction is done, first coat of rub on poly. The drawer fronts mahogany came out much darker than the spanish cedar sides. :(
I popped in some 1/4 inch holes, popped in the magnets in the doors,(I filled in the bad cuts on the inside of doors for now), and put a stop lowered from the top with magnets in wood but drilled in from back, left less than a 1/16th inch of wood, magnets were strong but with screws in them now, I dont know. Maybe not strong enough, but I just need them to keep doors shut. Im keeping my fingers crossed, but if they dont work out, like I said, will have to redo both doors.
All the pieces lined up and ready.
Another rub on coat, maybe two, one of two necklace carousels, not pushed all the way in, I dont want to loosen the fit at all.
I made the top a bit too small, should have fully came over door tops in front, a design flaw, but I love the look of the top, not sure if Id like to change it, still can, only 4 screws.

sorry about the quality of pics on some, hands and eyes are a bit off today

Attachments

• wood stuff 1246 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1246 (Medium).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 36
  • wood stuff 1254 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1254 (Medium).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 33
  • wood stuff 1253 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1253 (Medium).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 36
  • wood stuff 1252 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1252 (Medium).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 39
  • wood stuff 1251 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1251 (Medium).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 38
  • wood stuff 1250 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1250 (Medium).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 36
  • wood stuff 1249 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1249 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 34
  • wood stuff 1248 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1248 (Medium).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 32
I think the contrast on those doors looks great. I wouldn't want to change it. The whole project is coming along nicely. Thanks for taking us along.

finished-(ring pad coming in this week)

All done, close to what I wanted. Im sure she'll put it to good use.
The ring cushion/bar/pad didnt come in yet, still waiting, but I do think it arrives tomorrow, so I can line the bottom drawer and give it to her mother to place in her room to suprise her when she gets home.
A few more pics.(the drawers are deep. If she wants, Im going to make her 2 trays to put in drawer without ring cushions, Ill wait to see what she wants)about 40-41 inches high, coulda used 6 more, dont know why I designed it a bit short, I had the length in wood.

simple box on legs, not an easy build for this simple woodworker.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1265 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1265 (Medium).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 47
  • wood stuff 1267 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1267 (Medium).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 38
  • wood stuff 1268 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1268 (Medium).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 38
  • wood stuff 1269 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1269 (Medium).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 40
  • wood stuff 1270 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1270 (Medium).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 46
Well done Allen you put me to shame. I am still trying to get to that project.

Hey where did you get those chain carousels?

Project is looking real good you are a very productive person.:thumb:

Allen, that is some "put your eyes out good looking" walnut you used. I think the whole thing looks great! I have one of those on the short list to build for my daughter. I only hope it turns out as good as yours.

Hey where did you get those chain carousels?

QUOTE]

I got them from Rockler. I didnt shop around much because I needed a bunch of stuff and rockler had some free shipping and I had some coupon.
I did notice Joel Moscowitz has them in his catolog, toolsforworkingwood, and I think he carrys alot of brusso hardware, its really nice stuff.
IF you go with magnets in the doors for catches, go stronger than I did. The 1/4 inch are strong, but under the wood, I was hoping theyd be a bit stronger.

Thankyou to everyone for the kind comments.

Last edited:
allen that is some awesome chocolate yu have in the doors and the tops.. that better than anything i have ever seen in chocolate.. except for maybe a gun stock.. that is one very nicley done jewelry cabinet yu have there:D:thumb::thumb: i f were closer and yu had any more of that chocolate i would making yu a visit:D:thumb: