Jewelry chest with legs-walnut, spanish cedar/lingerie cabinet mahogany/maple drawers

It's a "Beauty", Allen, and that Walnut is absolutely Gorgeous.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

On those small magnets, I've noticed that they need to "touch" the steel screw to get max holding power, AND also that they don't grab to "Some Screws" very well. Maybe it's the plating or alloy on/in the screws, I really don't know. One thing you might try, to increase the holding power is to put two magnets in each hole instead of just one, and/or you might try a small washer with a Smaller headed screw countersunk into the washer so the top of the screw head is flush with the top of the washer.

She should really be proud of that.

thats exactly what I did norman.
I had to pry out the disks but managed to get them sideways and then lift them out, and drilled a bit deeper, put 2 disks and 2 rings each in each door.(kg magnets . com, decent prices, pays to buy enough so the 6 bucks in shipping doesnt kill the price)
I just didnt want the magnets exposed when it was open, but next time Id go with a stronger pull.
They dont snap close or resist opening, but it holds them in place.

Last edited:
Ive been cornered by my immediate family to produce another piece similar to this.
Not asked, but insisted.:huh::dunno:(I thought I finally made something decent, and I think certain family members feel slighted?)

This one will be more on the lingerie type cabinet, using raised panels and if I can, I will turn some simple curves on the legs. As simple as possible if I can do it when I get my lathe. (could be very costly, since IM using the last of 10/4 mahogany for the legs, and Ill use the mystery wood for the panels)
this one will be for my daughter, the house work will have to wait.
she is participating in the design of it herself, but doesnt want external drawer fronts, wants high doors in front, with a few drawers inside and the top open, she loves the necklace carousels.(I dont really like them ,cause they run close to 30 dollars each)There will be no felt used, no ring bars, just the necklace carousels.
I will make another attempt at using european type hinges, overlay doors.
I will use some maple or oak ply only inside the panels to hold each internal drawer, so I dont have to worry about movement. Everything else will be solid, non ply.(I dont have the lathe yet, but Im planning on using it for this, pretty funny, as turning 4 legs close to each other can be a major disaster for a total beginner, but then again, I never check the water before diving in anyway)

Last edited:
shes changed the design twice tonight, the carousels are history, we added more drawers. There will be necklace hooks on back of the doors.

Don-theres probably alot I can do with a lathe, but it may take me 6 years of practice to get one right.
Im sorry I got rid of my fire place. Id probably be able to keep it stoked with all the mistakes Im about to make.

found a beautiful piece of mahogany for the top and front door frames, I wish I could identify the other wood, anyone have a clue ?
Its not heavy, and it has a knot here and there. But each piece has the same color running through it, and theres alot of colors.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1286 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1286 (Medium).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 20
Love is blind

I drew a picture of the lingerie cabinet roughly for my daughter, incorporating her ideas, and trying to keep it somewhere I can build at my level.
I wanted to post some of my beautiful mahogany, I cut down 2x6's of mahogany, just about the last I had, to make the legs.
I was going to put a nice taper at the end, where they extend below the cabinet, but my daugher insists on me waiting for my lathe, and spinning the bottom 15 inches.

After explaining to her that I lack the knowledge, skill, practice, experience, tools, sharpening skills, etc.....to attempt such a thing, she insists, and says no matter how different the legs are, she will be proud to own the cabinet and show it off.

Im against turning the bottom of the legs, not for this.

I managed to cut and mill most of the pieces for the frame of the cabinet today.
I had a beautiful piece of 5/4 Im using for the top, and one 1x9 IM using for all the stiles and rails, not the door stiles and rails, I havent gotten that far yet.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1291 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1291 (Medium).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 13
I just noticed I apparently never commented on the finished jewelry box pictures...

Wowsers, that came out looking very fine! :thumb: If you keep up like this, you're gonna have to drop the "beginning woodworker" routine. :D I know I'd be proud to have made a piece like yours.

After almost a half a day trying to figure out raised panels, rail and style bits, my daughter decided she didnt want the doors like that.
She wanted flat panels, with nothing but spun legs on the bottom.
I dont get her, I tried to explain I can add some style/class (as my level permits, Im not cranking out any show winners)with some nice cut door frames, but she wanted the flat panels with plain rails and stiles.
I put a small curve in the top rail of the front doors. Heres where Im at, I wanted to post how the side panels would look before I ruin the legs on a lathe.(first picture is the two front doors together, nothing is glued, I have alot of sanding to do)
I used one board for rails and stiles on doors, and one board for sides.

There will be 3 solid maple drawers inside the cabinet, and one open shelf area, as I learned, delicate lingerie doesnt go in a drawer. Im happy if it comes out square and stands straight.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1294 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1294 (Medium).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 29
  • wood stuff 1295 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1295 (Medium).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 29
  • wood stuff 1298 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1298 (Medium).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Good ol' Allen...always dragging his feet and taking forever to get started on a project. :rolleyes: :D The motor on his tablesaw doesn't even have a chance to cool off between projects. :p

Those panels sure look nice to me, Allen. :thumb:

a little progress

wasnt sure exactly how I was going to put drawers in unit, just attach a support stretcher, or how I did it.Used 1/2 inch maple ply to build a small cabinet for inside the framed cabinet. put 3 drawers into it.
Cut out some drawer fronts, tried to put some kind of curves onto them.
Still got sanding to do. Made the drawers out of solid maple, why? I dont know. Just using what I have in the garage.
Found some real nice dark mahogany for the top.
a few pics of where Im at.(I started the day with my aluminum dovetail marker, thinking Im going to cut some dovetails for drawers. It ended up somewhere onthe grass, it started to rain, i gave up looking, eventually Ill go out and find it for another time, today was not the day it was going to happen)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1307 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1307 (Medium).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 20
  • wood stuff 1305 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1305 (Medium).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 27
  • wood stuff 1301 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1301 (Medium).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 22
  • wood stuff 1299 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1299 (Medium).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 27
Holy cow Allen! I must have been away longer than I thought. Have you taken up woodworking full time or what? How did you do the scallops in the drawer fronts? Inquiring minds want to know. Did you use the tablesaw or did you hand carve them?

table saw with stops on both sides and fences on both sides.
I sanded them all out today actually, my daughter said no good. She wasnt thrilled with them, so I turned them over, bevelled the edges sllightly, and thats going to be the drawer front now. Gotta make the customer happy.
A question for anyone that understand cabinet building better than me.
I made 2x2 solid legs that will extend from the under the top to the floor. 46 inches in height. I was going to turn the bottom 15 inches. Now Im thinking maybe its a better idea if I turn only 15 inch legs and mount the cabinet on a base, so I dont have to try to turn such long pieces. Im not sure.

tough week for me, health issues

Unfortunately, Im not getting that much time in the shop this week.
Health issues, but I did do alot of getting aquainted with the lathe.

So each time I spun a leg close to the one before it, or the first one, I kept doing a little part over, tiny bits. but then it took a slightly different shape, so I redid the other one, and so on, and so on.
So Im going to do the smart thing, change all the bulbs in my daughters room so the light is too weak to notice the difference in legs.
I was about to make aprons and make a base, and mount the cabinet section on top, but then I played around with dowel screws last night, and bought some 5/16th today, 3 inches, used them and glue, and attached the bottoms to the long legs.
I only rough sanded two of them, just to see how much of a seam would be noticable. I believe with poly added, the cabinet attached, the seams will be less noted than the poorly turned legs themselves.
I wetted the legs in one picture to see how the seam looks, before smooth sanding.If anyone is following this build, a few pics, my skills are obvious.:(:huh:totally amateur hour.

I havent put anything together, the legs are just clamped quickly for view of side panel. The legs will be cut shorter, flush with panel 15 inches off floor., approx 47 inches high without top.(yes, I own calipers and I was wearing my glasses, its alot harder than I imagined)most of all, I do love woodworking and the challenges it presents every day to me.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1327 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1327 (Medium).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 1329 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1329 (Medium).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 1331 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1331 (Medium).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 1332 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1332 (Medium).jpg