Jewelry chest with legs-walnut, spanish cedar/lingerie cabinet mahogany/maple drawers

Allen,

You left amatuer hour behind at least thre projects ago. The legs look identical to me from the pictures. Keep up the good work :thumb:.

Ps. I think your making up for all the shop time I'm missing cause of work right now!

put some pieces on , had to take some pieces off to get sub cabinet inside, and when I was just about ready to start attaching drawer fronts, and think of pulls, I dropped the cabinet. Luckily, I caught it after it caught the left front leg and the rest of the entire cabinet's weight cracked out the leg where the pocket screws were. Not a through crack, just cracked out the front(naturally).
Nothing went airborn. It is what it is. I know too well I should not attempt to lift anything heavy by myself, and this sucker is heavy.(And I dont want to scratch up the bottom of the legs when I move it around)
I spread the crack as best I could, shoved plenty of glue and finished some trim molding inside. Ill have to see how it sands out. The crack will mostly be behind the closed front doors on the unit, but this is bothering me. ONce it dry and I get a chance, Ill post a clear pic and see if one of the restorers can suggest something. the last picture with the doors, the lower left is where the leg cracked, up near the cabinet itself.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1337 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1337 (Medium).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 1340 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1340 (Medium).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 15
  • wood stuff 1342 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1342 (Medium).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 17
  • wood stuff 1344 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1344 (Medium).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 1348 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1348 (Medium).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
in that picture allen i dont see any crack.. and one thing to watch out for now that you are changing the drawer frts is that the center area isnt real thick so be careful when yu tighten down your handles..

she doesnt want the scalloped fronts, she wants flat plain fronts with a small knob. Now turning the fronts over, to the flat side, shes going to have to get very small knobs, I have less than 3/4 inch clearance.
I might make a long narrow pull type instead of turning a small knob.
She changed her mind 3 times since I started building this, you'd think she was paying me:doh:
My daughter is the reason Im reluctant to build anything for anyone for money.

Last edited:
allen what i was refering to is if yu turn them over like yu said..the wood is gonna be thin where yu anchore your handles ,,it will be the scalloped area under them handles like thin ice on a old shanty hole allen..looks thick but isnt..:)

who knew I had a macro mode something on my camera for closeups.

This is after I separated the crack, put alot of glue into it,clamped it tight for 6 hours and resanded it with first 80, then to 120.
I then had the same 1/8 of an inch small area missing, wood chipped out, so I mixed a tiny bit of fine dusting powder with famowood mahogany and filled it in, I havent sanded the famowood yet, nor went any more grit on the leg front.
The flash makes it a bit more unnoticable than it really is.Its noticable, but not enough to take away from the piece. It fits in with my skill level of building and design. I might have had a problem if I was actually making money on this.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1351 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1351 (Medium).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I cant get a picture of how well the hints given to me how to cover the crack worked out(thanx larry, in all seriousness, larry isnt just another pretty face around here, the man knows his wood, and don, he probably forgot more than I know). I just cant hold the camera steady enough for close up.
I did finish the unit without the hinges or knobs(I will attempt to spin knobs when I get my chuck, so that will have to wait a couple of weeks)(I chipped out all the famowood, great product, not for this though, and chipped a square hole and filled it in with similar grain lumber chip oversized then sanded down smooth. )
Im so mad at myself for damaging the top most of all, I absolutely loved the aged mahogany top I put on this cabinet, and sanding out that scratch hurt me every second.(I still have to give the top a 400 grit light sand and rub another coat or two, but the cabinet is rubbed and finished)Theres zero space in the garage to keep the unit, Im in the middle of ripping out cabinets for space.

I will spend the next 2 days building a lathe stand/table. I ripped out one cabinet last night to make room, estimating how much Id need with the bed extension, and when I yanked a plywood wall off the other wall, it flung against me, and a 2.5 inch brad buried itself right above my ankle about an inch deep. Hurt like hec. I called the doctor a bit ago but since Ive had a shot within the past few years, he says Im fine. I have enough health problems. It was funky trying to yank the brad out of my leg with the plywood attached, I had to give it a good pull.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1360 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1360 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 34
  • wood stuff 1358 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1358 (Medium).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
ROUNDING THIRD ALMOST HOME!!!!!

I still need to rub on a coat more on the knobs, will do tonight, and Im in the middle of making a small necklace bracket(2 of them) to hang on inside of door. (I need to spin small dowels with some recesses to hold the necklaces,)
Otherwise, just needs to be wiped down.
Summary-spanish cedar legs, mahogany frames with mystery wood panels(Im not sure why he wasnt close, saying some kind of rosewood, maybe a sapwood of rosewood, I dont know)
Aged mahogany top, maple plywood cabinet insides, solid maple drawer sides with 1/4 inch maple ply bottoms.
I was close to elimating any ply with this build, maybe the next box Ill eliminate any veneered products.
The front door knobs are spanish cedar, the drawer knobs are walnut, extremely simple turned dowel then tapered a bit and cut.Looks like the top of an oreo cookie.(the back is 1/4 inch sapele ply)
This was my first attempt with a lathe as evident in the final product. Hopefully, with practice, Ill understand the lathe a bit more.
I will engrave(carve with a dremel bit) a small wood plaque and put underneath out of view, with the statement For my daughter Marissa, Oct 2009.Add a little mushy touch to it all.Heres a few pictures, Ill post final pic with necklace bracket in a couple of weeks.

*the interior design was my daughters. I intended on putting 5 drawers in there, she wanted a shelf with some space.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1377 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1377 (Medium).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 1378 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1378 (Medium).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 30
  • wood stuff 1379 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1379 (Medium).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 28
  • wood stuff 1381 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1381 (Medium).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
My daughter reminded me as soon as I walked in, she still needs some type of necklace hangers in the cabinet. Since I cut my trip short, came home today, I decided to put some lathe time in.
what I basically wanted, was 8 pegs, with a little meat at the end to hold a necklace on, would glue the pegs into a piece of wood and attach to inside of doors.
So I spun and spun, and each time I was less happy with the results.
I prepared 6 or 7 small 1 inch sqaure pieces of spanish cedar, and made them each 6-9 inches long, and turned them all to dowels first.(this only takes me 30 seconds, I got the rounding part down pat) Then tried to shape out ends. A few came out nice, but then I looked online at cribbage pegs, like a shaker peg, miniture pegs, and decided for 15 cents a peg, Ill stain them and they will all be perfect matches.Ill run over to one of the arts and crafts stores and pick up a pack.

I just did some catching up in this thread Allen, and the cabinet/jewelry chest came together very nicely. I like the simple legs you turned. I also think you're wise to know when it makes more sense to buy a few pieces instead of making them, like the necklace hangers.

you have come a long way in a short hurry allen:):thumb: and like dons says yu passed elementary school and are well on your way to the next level..even if yu do have a lathe now,, oh that chocolate will go bad if it gets close to a lathe:) it destined for flat work allen style:D:thumb::thumb: very nice job allen on the this one..

I wouldnt spin those flat boards. That wood is going to be a nice unit sooner or later.
Im moving wood and rearranging equipment this weekend, since Im off on vacation, and wil practice with scraps on the lathe. No more woodworking for a while, its time I get started on the interior of my house.
Wish I had Tod's know how and talent right bout now.(Ill start with easy stuff, like taking down wallpaper and old moldings, move on to putting up a 5 foot wall, taking down a 3 foot wall, and then attempt to build a handrail for a 4 foot section of open staircase, after new floor installed, new Ill put on moldings, cove moldings, etc...